worldbuilding for RPGs.. any preferences?

Started by
2 comments, last by eldee 22 years, 1 month ago
well, the time has come for me to figure out how i want to do this.. unfortunately i cant seem to decide on which way to go as far as editing/saving/loading maps goes. thus far, i''ve been considering worldcraft and it''s .map format, but i''ve began to ask myself- ''is that really practical?'' the .map format is designed for FPS games, not an RPG like mine where the camera is fixed and pretty much always looking at the ground at a 45 degree angle.. should i just sink my teeth in and build my own map editor, or is there another way? i''d rather avoid building my own editor from scratch at first if possible, as i''m pretty much a one man army at the moment, and im making good progress on engine design and implementation.. having to build a map editor would be a serious distraction. Has anybody here made a game with a similiar style and run across this speed bump before? i''m open to all suggestions.. thanks in advance fellas -eldee ;another space monkey;
-eldee;another space monkey;[ Forced Evolution Studios ]
Advertisement
www.qeradiant.com
Grab the Q3radiant/GTKradiant source and modify that. That editors been used for the Q3 engined games (mohaa,rtcw,q3a,alice,etc), and is built ontop of the editor used for games such as q2,sin,heretic2,vampire: the masquerade,etc.

-----------------------
"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else''s drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
cool, i''ll check it out..
do you happen to know what type of format it outputs, or if you
can specify bsp/octree/quadtree, ect?
Also, are there any licensing hooks when using worldfraft/qeradiant,
ect? i''d hate to get pretty far and find out i cant release a commercial
game using their file format..
thanks

-eldee
;another space monkey;
-eldee;another space monkey;[ Forced Evolution Studios ]
It saves a .map file (the basic format that q1/q2/q3 engines use), but you could modify it to output the format you wanted.

-----------------------
"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else''s drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement