Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ANSI2000

Custom Vertex Class and Vertex Buffers (glDrawElelemebts)...

OK, now don''t turn this into flame whether I should name my vertex class vector or vertex Lets say I have a class vertex, which has 3 private members of type float respectively x, y, z. The class also contains color info and few member functions for math etc... Now I also have a class called terrain. This class has an array of type vertex. Of course this array contains all the vertexex of the terrain... I have a draw function, which loops through the vertex array, retrieves the x , y, z values using get methods, stores the values into a float array, then the newly created array is passed to glDrawElements... Is there an overhead when calling this get methods or should I just store the data at load time directly into a float array...

I do it the Direct3D way so I can avoid confusing myself when switching between API's. I usually make everything in the vertex a vector and stick it all in one interleaved structure called vertex. The vertex array is then part of a base mesh class from which all other meshes inherit. Use gl*Pointer or glInterleavedArrays to specify the corrext offsets for glDrawElements -- no need to copy into a float array.

struct vector3
{
float x,y,z;
};
struct vector2
{
union {
struct {
float u, v;
};
struct {
float x, y;