News scripts

Started by
6 comments, last by Crofty 22 years ago
Hi all I'm currently developing a gaming news website, but one of the main problems I've come across is some way to post the news. Since it would be far too time-consuming and mind-numbingly boring to add news simply by editing the HTML, I'd much rather use some sort of a news script. Unfortunately I know nothing of web-based scripting so I was wondering if any of you could help me. Heres what I'm after: - preferably somewhere to input member name and password (not essential tho since it'll be a private page) - boxes to enter the title of the news, and the main news itself. Maybe a description field as well. The title and news would go into main frame (or table column etc) of that articles' particular page, and if possible the title and description would go on the main site page, with a link to the article. - some automated archiving system?? Now its probably all a bit complicated (impossible maybe?), but any help would be great. Even if its nowhere near like the one described above, a news script of some sort would help. If anybody has a script they'd be willing to share, or be able to recommend where I might find something like this, I'd be very appreciative. Thanks, Crofty Edited by - Crofty on March 18, 2002 9:41:42 AM
Advertisement
*bump*

Damn cant no-one help me at all??

Looking for ANY news scripts....
There''s tons of websites that deal with that sort of stuff; why don''t you exercise some initiative and look for them? Here''s one for you: www.js-examples.com.

Generally, though, you''ll need a database backend and scripts that composite the page from content stored in the database and accessed by date/thread/some other identifier.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Google! ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!
I''ve tried looking for some, with no real luck. Thanks for the help, I''ll look at that site.

On a side note, is it worth me learning some java-script and/or Perl (or anything else for that matter)?? I know a lot of Pascal already, so doing something like this for an application wouldnt be a problem, I just have no knowledge of web scripting.
quote:Original post by Crofty
Hi all

I''m currently developing a gaming news website, but one of the main problems I''ve come across is some way to post the news. Since it would be far too time-consuming and mind-numbingly boring to add news simply by editing the HTML, I''d much rather use some sort of a news script. Unfortunately I know nothing of web-based scripting so I was wondering if any of you could help me. Heres what I''m after:

- preferably somewhere to input member name and password (not essential tho since it''ll be a private page)

- boxes to enter the title of the news, and the main news itself. Maybe a description field as well. The title and news would go into main frame (or table column etc) of that articles'' particular page, and if possible the title and description would go on the main site page, with a link to the article.

- some automated archiving system??

Now its probably all a bit complicated (impossible maybe?), but any help would be great. Even if its nowhere near like the one described above, a news script of some sort would help.

If anybody has a script they''d be willing to share, or be able to recommend where I might find something like this, I''d be very appreciative.

Thanks,
Crofty

Edited by - Crofty on March 18, 2002 9:41:42 AM

Scripts aren''t the only thing you''ll need, you''ll also need a database to store your news. Might want to look into PHP or ASP to take care of that...

"And that''s the bottom line cause I said so!"

Cyberdrek
cyberdrek@gdnmail.net
Founder Laval Linux

/(bb|[^b]{2})/ that is the Question -- ThinkGeek.com
Hash Bang Slash bin Slash Bash -- #!/bin/bash
[Cyberdrek | ]
http://www.hotscripts.com/Perl/Scripts_and_Programs/News_Publishing/

http://cgi.resourceindex.com/Programs_and_Scripts/Perl/News_Posting/

Both excellent lists of free news posting scripts. Most are really easy to install and can be demoed first.

best news script ever developed -- http://www.amphibianweb.com/newspro/
Wow thanks a lot guys, those sites are really helpful.

I''ll be sure to tell you how me and my site get on.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement