Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

3D Engines: I need a bit of help.

This topic is 5745 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ll admit it right here and now, I''m an artist and not a programmer. I''m new to the forums and not exactly sure where I should post what. I''ll make this quick, however; since I don''t want to waste your time and the little time I have to post this. I''m currently looking for a 3D engine as a base for my game. I''ve conviered the open source GPL Quake2 engine, although it looks a little limiting and it''s up to par with today''s standards. I''ve looked at Power Render as well, it seems to have fewer problems and seems quite nice, although second opinions from those who know the code is helpful. So; I ask of you is you know of any good 3D engines, to tell me of them. I''m pressed for cash, so can''t spend much. Also, if at all posible: I would like this engine to become a plugin for Cryptic Design''s (http://www.crypticdesigns.com/) RPG Development Studio. If I make a 3D game, I should share the love, yes? Any help is appriciated, and thank you for your time.

i doubt you''ll ever find what you''re looking for..
and actually good programmers are often artists too...
if you don''t know very much about:
1st programming
2nd mathematics
3rd 3d graphics
..you won''t be able to accomodate(not talking about writing from basis) any good engine, cause every little change requiers huge knowledge
gl!

Well, I am a 3D artist, kinda. Amature, but I run 3D Studio 4, and got moderately good at it. I cover number 3 a-okay.
I''m currently learning C++ in my spare time as well- I''m nowhere near beig able to consider myself a coder, and therefore I didn''t mention it. Math isn''t something I enjoy, but if it must be done, it shall be done.

I''ll look at the recommended thread as well, thanks for your help.

If you dont plan on keeping compatibility with Quake2 and you choose the Quake2 engine, there is a LOT you can do with it.

-----------------------
"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else''s drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack