• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Arek the Absolute

GBA- DMA question...

This topic is 5909 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Anyone know a way to copy a part of an array with DMA? I''m using the function from the PERN Project, but in case you''re not familiar with it, here it is.

void DMA_Copy(u8 channel, void* source, void* dest, u32 WordCount, u32 mode)
{
	switch (channel)
	{
		case 0: 
			REG_DMA0SAD = (u32)source;
			REG_DMA0DAD = (u32)dest;			
			REG_DMA0CNT = WordCount | mode;
			break;
		case 1:
			REG_DMA1SAD = (u32)source;
			REG_DMA1DAD = (u32)dest;
			REG_DMA1CNT = WordCount | mode;
			break;
		case 2:
			REG_DMA2SAD = (u32)source;
			REG_DMA2DAD = (u32)dest;
			REG_DMA2CNT = WordCount | mode;
			break;

case 3:
			REG_DMA3SAD = (u32)source;
			REG_DMA3DAD = (u32)dest;
			REG_DMA3CNT = WordCount | mode;
			break;

}
}

Anyway, my question is this. I have a large array containing the image data for a number of different frames of animation. The first 512 items are the first frame, etc. Can I use DMA to copy just the data in, for example, the third frame? Meaning, can I tell it to start at array[1024] and progress from there? If so, how? Any advice would be, in a word, keen. -Arek the Absolute

Advertisement
Oh well. I think I solved the problem anyway. For anyone interested, just manually adjust the position of the pointer. Something like:
DMA_Copy(3,(void*)array+0x400,(void*)OAMData,amount,rate);
Of course, the specifics change on how much you''re skipping, but it does seem to work.

-Arek the Absolute

Not really a DMA issue but for faster code you''d be better of using a macro rather than a function especially if your transfering small amounts of data as often the overhead of the function call may be more than that of the transfer. :D

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!