4D translation to/from null-space.

Started by
15 comments, last by Vlion 22 years ago
Well, to be quite honest, thats exactly what I want to know.
Hence my engine. Hopefully during spring break I can finish the basic code and get a viewer running.
I think I am almost ready to do that.
This thread is my thinking ahead to my goal.
yipeee !
V''lion

Bugle4d
~V'lionBugle4d
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Vlion
So in real-space I select the point I want to move to, i come up with the point in null-space I need to go to at a given speed, then I proceed to translate to nulls-space, go to that point at the given speed, then translate to real-space...

Well, yes, that would work. There are other ways, but that would suffice.

Timkin
One interesting possibility might be the 2-d surface of a torus embedded in a 4-d Euclidean space. The torus can be "twisted" to give its surface a Euclidean metric.
I''m going to need 5 minutes to get my brain around the tangent field for that manifold... come back next year!

While I can easily visualise a torus embedded in 3-d space, embedding in 4-d space is a little harder to picture (but I can use sub-manifold projections to make it easier...). I cannot though see how the twisting of the torus will give it a Euclidean metric on it''s surface... how do you get around the periodicity of the torus'' surface?

I am genuinely interested in hearing how this is done!

Thanks,

Timkin
oi.
torus in 3-space, yes.
torus surface is a 2-space.

3-space torus in 4-space.
roger that; all coords have a W componet the same.

Twist ?
Like taking two ends of a bike tube and twisting them like a rope ?
How would that change the dimemnsion of it ?
If I am not mistaken, the topological dimension is the same.

I really need to get my 4-space view going.

V''lion

Bugle4d
~V'lionBugle4d
First up I''d better apologize - I''m just confused too

What I was thinking of was this
this which is about curvature.

Imagine rendering a plane which represents the view of 2-d being living in a 2-d toroidal space where light moves on the surface of this torus. Looking in two directions the being would eventually see itself as the surface is periodic, and in one of those directions space would appear squashed together. As the torus is twisted into the 4th dimension the plane starts to look euclidean, albeit with the periodicity mentioned above.

I think this would be a neat think to code up, but sorry if i was misleading before.

coool
a periodic eulidean metric; very interesting.
Hey-
If you`d like to see some code for 4d rendering, email me.

You should be able to hack up some kind of 4d parametric function viewer without a terrible abount of pain.

Bugle4d
~V'lionBugle4d

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement