Scripting Languages ?

Started by
45 comments, last by __ODIN__ 22 years ago
Hi, Guys; Just wanted to know what scripting language people are using for their projects ? Are you using an off-the-shelf tool (such as LUA), or are you rolling your own ? Thanks, Odin
------------------------------ BOOMZAPTry our latest game, Jewels of Cleopatra
Advertisement
So far I''ve seen talk of LUA, Java, java-script and Python. And there are two recent articles on rolling your own that garnered some attention as well.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
I''ve used LUA (3.2) before, both for configuration and some simple runtime evaluations.

The main issue I had with it was the lack of execute-sleep-and -continue functionality (allowing me to run multiple non-threaded and non-blocking LUA scripts, or allowing me to pause a LUA script while waiting for some condition, such as arriving at the end of a path). Reading through the updated news pages on it, 4.1 Work 3 adds a Yield function, but it''s not yet totally stable...

So I''m checking around for alternatives =)

Odin
In that case, you might find this thread interesting

Java as a scripting language: using the JNI

Since this thread, I''ve seen Ziphnor praise java-script a number of times. Shaft was supposed to alert me regarding his java based system, but hasn''t yet.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Interesting thread.

So in your own case.. do you use an existing scripting engine (JS ? Java?), or have you made your own.

Also, has anyone had a look at Pike ? It''s got some interesting semantics, and it''s nice and OOP, but the GPL is a turn-off..

Odin
I''m curently looking at Ruby to see how easy it is to embed - some success so far but its not quite there yet.
Box2020<CEng&,CRnd*>
quote:
I've seen Ziphnor praise java-script a number of times.

Hehe, i guess i have been, havent i
Anyway, what i like about it, is simply that its so damn uncomplicated to use.
I should point out though that im not passing objects from C++ -> JS or the other way. I send handles(int's) to the java-script which the script can use for calling functions on the native side. (so the script might call makeWindow(blabla) and this method returns a integer handle that can be used to call native functions on the window.
Also, the methods you want to expose to the java-scripts cant be member functions(afaik).
But if these things doesnt frighten you off, i think its a good place to start when looking for a script language. Java itself is properly better and is more powerful(classes can come in handy as templates for different types of scripts) but its also more complicated to use.

[edited by - ziphnor on March 19, 2002 8:00:02 AM]
I''m using TCL for scripting. So far, I have no complaints about it, although I might try rolling my own language as a learning experience.
Post Extant Graphical MUD
quote:Original post by __ODIN__
So in your own case.. do you use an existing scripting engine (JS ? Java?), or have you made your own.

In my case, I haven't implemented a scripting engine of any kind. However, when I get to that point, I will use java-script first because I already know how to use java-script.

This brings out another issue, how well known the scripting language is and whether that is a factor in your game at all. Javscript is well known (notice the hyphen that the forum board places in the word and that it's also lower case - that's a caution against unscrupulous posts - I didn't add the hyphen, and I capitalized the word at the start of this sentence too). Anyway...

// but the forum board doesn't check for mispellings
Javscript
java-script - this was J***script
java script

[edited by - lessbread on March 19, 2002 2:30:58 PM]
I''m using Python. It''s great.

Take care,
Bill

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement