Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How difficult is Direct3D?

This topic is 5749 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''ve messed with OpenGL before, and quite frankly I wasn''t too fond of how it worked. I hated the 2D stuff of it, it was way too much numbers. I know Direct3D used to be really difficult, has it changed with any recent version? I realize DirectDraw and all that stuff merged into one, but I havent messed with DirectX since 5.0

basically, direct3D has become more like openGL now, before it was supposed to be really confusing and complex, but i hear ppl saying that its easier and more similar to openGL now.

,Matt

-= kill one your a murderer, kill thousands your a conquerer =-

The best answer anyone can give you is try it and find out. Some people never get to like certain APIs, and never use them. Some use them, but still don''t like them (*cough* MFC *cough*), while still others love them.

I don''t like OpenGL''s procedural style, but the investment to wrap all those functions is too much for me (I''m lazy). Thus, I use Direct3D. Now if I should choose to port my applications to Linux, for example, I''d have to use OpenGL, like it or not.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Google! ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!

DirectX basically works like OpenGL. the biggest bitch of DX is all the initialization for making a window and creating a surface (forgot the precise term, sorry) to draw on. but with the newest version of DX (8) they got rid of the 2d only part of the API and just threw it in with the 3d stuff. Microsoft argues that a) you can do 2d with 3d stuff and b) you get hardware acceleration by doing 2d stuff with 3d. the 2d stuff is still there from DX7, but it''s all deprecated. but all the window initialization is an easy lookup on the MSDN or on nexe.gamedev.net

D3D = Easy. (took me 3 days)

Graphics programming = Hard.

D3D is targeted torward people who are developing serious graphical apps. Therefore, it can be quite hard if you aren''t really solid in your graphics fundementals.

The app wizard handles all the setup, so you don''t have to worry so much about initialization. If you found OpenGL to be difficult, you will find direct3d to be no easier. Its really the math and not the API that will slow you down. Once you have a good grasp of how 3D vector and matrix math work and illumination and texturing equations, it should be relatively easy to use either API. Its very important that if you want to do 3D you focus on understanding what is going on mathmatically instead of just using the API as a black box. If you don''t learn the math, you may be able to toss some triangles up on the screen, but you will crash and die when it comes to collision detection, writing your own shaders, calculating lightmaps, etc.