Am I cracked?

Started by
5 comments, last by Solstice 22 years, 1 month ago
I''m not sure if this belongs in this forum but... The project I''ve been claiming to work on the last 4 years has gone through a number of changes: First it was a Myst-like adventure game, then a 3D RPG, and now... My current idea is a 2D engine using screen-sized sprites or, if I can ever figure out how to write it, Bezier shapes. The idea is that the Anime style looks terrible in 3D, but wonderful in 2D. So, I thought if I translated my method for creating 2D anime art to programming code, it could potentially have a high cool factor. The system would read in an XML like script file to create the animation as well as to mainipulate character data, stats, etc... I''ve been studying beziers all weekend; I''m beginning to doubt my entire idea. Do I have good reason to? -Solstice deninet.com aeris.deninet.com "...I was given three choices, the earth, the stars, or..."
-Solsticedeninet.comaeris.deninet.com"...I was given three choices, the earth, the stars, or..."
Advertisement
Look around there were a couple of articles awhile back about reducing 3d animation to totally 2d looking cartoony view. For an example the guy used sonic the hedgehog... I looked around but I couldn''t find it quickly, maybe someone here knows.
i believe what the previous poster was talking about is a method called cel shading. a tutorial can be readily found on nehe's site and no doubt there are other sites out there that explain this method.

gl!

edit: here is an example of this effect at work:

[edited by - xtrmntr on March 18, 2002 9:24:14 PM]
True, Cel Shading is becomming an increasingly popular method of rendering... For my project however, I''m completely doing away with any 3D technologies and settling for a more controlled 2D system.

I suppose this is really just semantic. Although only 2D methods are being used, I was still going to coreograph them to give the illusion of 3D -- much like an animator does.

Then again, is *not* using some 3D component a critical flaw in my thinking?

[clutches head in confusion!!!]

-Solstice

deninet.com
aeris.deninet.com

"...I was given three choices, the earth, the stars, or..."
-Solsticedeninet.comaeris.deninet.com"...I was given three choices, the earth, the stars, or..."
heh heh, CEL DAMAGE has wasted hours upon hours of my free time, making me hardly a programmer at all for the past month or so... i love that game dammit!
btw - is it hard to do that cel shading effect? i''m not really thinking about using it in anything anytime soon, but i''m just curious if it is tricksy...
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
It''s a modified constant shading, to my understanding. Edges are calculated and colored black, and shading must reach a certain threshold before if can darken.

Now, making something like OpenGL or DirectX use it, is *way* outside of my understanding.
Cell shading can be split into: edge drawing and the actuall cell shading.

Edges can be done loads of ways, usually involving detecting when back-facing and front facing polys touch. A quick hack method is drawing the model normally then drawing it again with front face culling and wireframe to get the edges.

Cell shading: uses a 1d texture and alters the texture coords based on the amount of light on a vertex. So instead of smooth gourad shading you get the 1d texture wrapped in the same way. A perfectly graduated texture gets smooth shading, and putting bands in of solid colour get the proper effect.

Plenty of tutorials around though...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement