Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stibmit

dumb question with a 2d array

Stibmit    122
Ugh. Boy am I feeling like a dumbie tonight. Anyways, I''m not really thinking straight, and I''m having a hard time with this 2d array that I''m working with. First, here''s the source:

char Array_1[12][16] =
	{
			{0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0},
			{1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1},
			{1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1}
	}; //end char Array_1

for(int count_y=0; count_y <= 12; count_y++)
	{
		for(int count_x=0; count_x <= 16; count_x++)
		{
			tile_x = Array_1[0][count_x];
			tile_y = Array_1[count_y][0];

} //end for(x)

} //end for(y)

Basically, what I want to happen is for the the for loops to run through that big 2D array, and then have tile_x equal the x counter, and tile_y equal the y counter. For some reason, I can''t seem to wrap my head around it, I''m getting some really weird results, where sometimes where tile_x is supposed to equal 0, it actually equals 1, and a whole bunch of other odd things. I know I''m doing something very wrong. Can someone give me a hand?

Stibmit    122
Thanks for the help, but I''m still having the same problem unfortunately
I''ll try to better explain what happens when I change some of the array''s values around. If you look at the last two lines of the array, you can see that there are two rows of 1''s. However, if I change one of the rows first value to 0, when I read in the array''s values, the rest of the values in that row appear to be 0, even though I intended their values to be 1.

Even with the small change of <= to just <, I get the same problem. Thanks again for the help, just a little further maybe and I''ll have it

F104    130
I think I found the error...

with "tile_x = Array_1[0][count_x];" you only traverse the first row of values even if count_y changes; and with "tile_y = Array_1[count_y][0];" you do the opposite: you only read the first value of all the rows!

You''re actually reading only the top and left border of the "square"...

I don''t know what you want to do exactly, but I think you should use the two indexes (count_x, count_y) together!

Bye Bye
F104/NA

Stibmit    122
There''s a lot more going on in the source than what I showed- the things I cut out to make things more simple was everything to do with DirectDraw that I had going on, since my problem has nothing to do with DirectDraw. Basically, what I want to do, is display a tile for every single value of the 2D array, where 0 represents a tile, and 1 represents another. That''s what I cut out, and that is what''s working- however, I still can''t seem to get the damn array stuff working I''m getting weird values, I don''t think I''m doing the counting right, where I read in the values for x and y. Basically, what I want to happen is to read in the x value''s for the array, and then read in the y values for the array, and then display them. I KNOW I''m doing something wrong, because I''m getting tiles where I shouldn''t get them. Thanks for the help though Can anyone offer any more suggestions?

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
I m not sure to understand the question but if I m right... what you want is that your function gives U the table value ...

just do that loop
for(int count_y=0; count_y <= 12; count_y++) { for(int count_x=0; count_x <= 16; count_x++)
{
value = Array_1[count_y][count_x]; } //end for(x)
} //end for(y)

or if U want to have only the counter value

for(int count_y=0; count_y <= 12; count_y++) { for(int count_x=0; count_x <= 16; count_x++)
{
tile_x = count_x;
tile_y = count_y;//or just use the count value
} //end for(x)
} //end for(y)

That seems to easy but it s what I understand about your question.

Sorry if it wasn t your problem

Bye bye

manumoi

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
dont forget to use < instead of <= as oluseyi said