z80 to x86

Started by
2 comments, last by Programmer One 22 years, 1 month ago
I learned z80 assembly, and I was wondering how hard would it be to learn x86 assembly. Is it? _____________________________________________________ ICQ #: 149510932 Google - OpenGL - DirectX - Windows Guide Network - MSDN - Symantec Virus Info "Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein
Advertisement
I don''t know z80, but I''ve heard people say it isnt'' horribly different. If you learned z80, you could surely learn x86 (I did, and I''m farily idiotic ).
As lackluster stated, there are only some minor differences. The registers have other names, some opcodes are different (i.e. ld is mov in x86 assembly), but one big advantage of x86 assembly IMHO is that you have a lot more possibilities than when coding for the z80. For example, in z80 assembly you can only perform an and operation with the accumulator register (if I remember correctly), but with x86 assembly, you can ''and'' almost any register.
it should not be too tough. just keep in mind, you are just learning a languge and dont forget what you learned dont the z80. high level concepts will still work, but things are different hardware wise. for instance on windows, you have to play nice. i would really stick to using inline assembly at first with c ro c++ code to create the framework (ie make the window, create directdraw surface, etc). then slowly ween yourself into using the entire api within assembly.

the tougher part is writing asm software for windows or uing dx, but its just a few more things you need to learn. but i think with the more powerful x86 cpu and much less restrictive instruction set you will enjoy the learning expierence.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement