BltFast Problem

Started by
3 comments, last by Teric 22 years, 1 month ago
Ok, here's a weird problem. I am trying to blit to a back buffer surface from an offscreen plain surface. It should be pretty straightforward. However, the BltFast doesn't seem to be working. I put in some statements to write out the error to a text file. Here's my code:

//Compose a frame of animation--gBackground is an offscreen plain surface, gBackBuffer is a surface attached to a Primary surface
	result = gBackBuffer->BltFast(0,0,gBackground, NULL, DDBLTFAST_NOCOLORKEY|DDBLTFAST_WAIT);
	if(result!=DD_OK)
	{
		WriteLog("Failed to Blit Background\n");
		switch(result)
		{
		case DDERR_EXCEPTION:
			WriteLog("DDERR_EXCEPTION\n");
			break;
		case DDERR_GENERIC:
			WriteLog("DDERR_GENERIC\n");
			break;
		case DDERR_INVALIDOBJECT:
			WriteLog("DDERR_INVALIDOBJECT\n");
			break;
		case DDERR_INVALIDPARAMS:
			WriteLog("DDERR_INVALIDPARAMS\n");
			break;
		case DDERR_INVALIDRECT:
			WriteLog("DDERR_INVALIDRECT\n");
			break;
		case DDERR_NOBLTHW:
			WriteLog("DDERR_NOBLTHW\n");
			break;
		case DDERR_SURFACEBUSY:
			WriteLog("DDERR_SURFACEBUSY\n");
			break;
		case DDERR_SURFACELOST:
			WriteLog("DDERR_SURFACELOST\n");
			break;
		case DDERR_UNSUPPORTED:
			WriteLog("DDERR_UNSUPPORTED\n");
			break;
		case DDERR_WASSTILLDRAWING:
			WriteLog("DDERR_WASSTILLDRAWING\n");
			break;
		default:
			WriteLog("Was some weird error\n");
			break;
		}
		return FALSE;
	}

My error log file has nothing but 'Was some weird error'. I can't figure out where BltFast is failing. Any suggestions? Edited by - Teric on March 19, 2002 7:37:47 AM
I am always open to feedback, positive or negative...
Advertisement
theres quite a few reasons which really depend on your level of skill.

I don''t want to offend but have you checked if the backbuffer is attached and the height and width in your surface description for the offscreen surface are <= screen res? And if its in fullscreen (i''m guessing so heh) check that your in exclusive mode as that can be a bit of a pain if you aren''t

Also a long shot but try removing the nocolorkey tag - maybe DD checks if there is a color key on there.. I''m not sure heh since I''ve never used the flag.

Philip Lutas
Optical Realities
Philip LutasMy site of randomness
Exclusive mode: check. Full Screen: check.
gDDraw->SetCooperativeLevel(hwnd, DDSCL_EXCLUSIVE | DDSCL_FULLSCREEN) 

Screen Width: 640 Screen Height: 480
//From ''defines.h''#define SCREEN_WIDTH 640#define SCREEN_HEIGHT 480#define COLOR_DEPTH 8//From ''ddsetup.cpp''gDDraw->SetDisplayMode(SCREEN_WIDTH, SCREEN_HEIGHT, COLOR_DEPTH) 

Back buffer surface attached: check
ddsd.dwFlags = DDSD_CAPS | DDSD_BACKBUFFERCOUNT;//Set the capabilities field to show that this will be the descriptor for the primary surface//that is complex (i.e. having buffer surfaces attached) and flippableddsd.ddsCaps.dwCaps=DDSCAPS_PRIMARYSURFACE | DDSCAPS_FLIP | DDSCAPS_COMPLEX;//Tell DirectX that there will only be one backbufferddsd.dwBackBufferCount=1;//Now use the descriptor to create a direct draw surface.if(FAILED(gDDraw->CreateSurface(&ddsd, &gPrimary, NULL)))    return FALSE;//Call the CreatePalette function to set up a palette for the primary surfacegPrimaryPalette = CreatePalette(gPrimary);//Set up the back buffer surface and attach it to the primary surfaceddscaps.dwCaps = DDSCAPS_BACKBUFFER;if(FAILED(gPrimary->GetAttachedSurface(&ddscaps,&gBackBuffer)))    return FALSE; 

Offscreen surface <= screen res: check.
//Set up the surface to hold the background imageddsd.dwSize=sizeof(ddsd);ddsd.dwFlags=DDSD_CAPS|DDSD_HEIGHT|DDSD_WIDTH;ddsd.ddsCaps.dwCaps = DDSCAPS_OFFSCREENPLAIN;ddsd.dwHeight=SCREEN_HEIGHT;ddsd.dwWidth=SCREEN_WIDTH;//Create the background image surfaceif(FAILED(gDDraw->CreateSurface(&ddsd, &gBackground, NULL)))    return FALSE; 

I''ll try removing that nocolorkey flag, and see what it does. Any other suggestions?
Well, I figured out my problem. I have a clipper attached to the BackBuffer surface, but I was using BltFast (which doesn''t use a clipper) instead of Blt, which does use a clipper. *bonk head* Thanks anyway!
Wrong Forum

Jim Adams
home.att.net/~rpgbook
Author, Programming Role-Playing Games with DirectX

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement