DirectX Basics - please explain

Started by
1 comment, last by new_man 22 years, 1 month ago
Hi all! I''ve been dealing with DX not lon ago and got some questions. I read that it''s always better to use DDSCAPS_VIDEOMEMORY instead of DDSCAPS_SYSTEMMEMORY for surfaces. I created Primary and Back surfaces in video memory and also created one surface fro my bitmap in video memory. My FPS were about 90. After that I tryed to use system memory flag for all that surfaces and got 70 FPS. That''s great to use video memory, I thought. But when I desire to perform some FX e.g. tranclusency, or color mixing or fading - whatever, my FPS are dropped to 5 (that''s when using video memory). But when I set ALL my surfaces in system memory and called my function with special effect my FPS were about 60-50. What''s the mater and how should I use surfaces. What DDSCASP_*MEMORY flag to use and with what surface? What are the basics for performing special effects when my surfaces are supposed to be locked? Maybe I should create some temporary surface - then tell me how to work with it and what memory to use. So, please explain me some basics about DX and FX and push me in the right way so I could continue my DX researching
Advertisement
What kind of video card do you have?
Locking buffers that reside in video memory is very slow. It basically entails copying the whole buffer to system memory, then giving you a pointer to play with, and then copying everything back to the video card when you unlock it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement