Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

capn_midnight

C++ Template Classes

okay, I have a class:

template <class T>
class c_MyClass{
   private:
      T a, b;

public:
      T add(T,T);  //easy to implement

c_MyClass &func(c_MyClass&);  //I have no clue how to implement

};

//I know this is right

template <class T>
T c_MyClass<T>::add(T da, T db){
   a+=da;
   b+=db;
}

//But I don''t think this is right

template <class T>
c_MyClass<T> &c_MyClass<T>::func(c_MyClass<T> &cmc_X){
   c_MyClass<T> temp;
   //operations on temp;

return temp;
}

I tried www.cplusplus.com and all my books, but none of them have examples where you either return the class or have a parameter of the class.

Like that, except the prototype needs to be defined as returning the full form, not the template.

[edited by - DrPizza on March 19, 2002 2:23:15 PM]

I didn''t take a look in depth, but it''s best to do in-line definitions when you''re doing templated classes:

template <class T>
class foo{
T data;
public:
T func(T whatever){
return data;
}
}

okay, so I should have:

template <class T>
class c_MyClass{
public:
c_MyClass<T> &func(c_MyClass<T>&);
};

template <class T>
c_MyClass<T> &func(c_MyClass<T> &cmc_X){
c_MyClass<T> temp;
//code for stuff on temp

return temp;
}

right?

template <class T>
c_MyClass<T> &c_MyClass<T>::func(c_MyClass<T> &cmc_X){
c_MyClass<T> temp;
//code for stuff on temp
return temp;
}

Of course, you shouldn''t be returning a reference to a temporary, but that''s a different matter...

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Google! ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!

...a matter that can be resolved by removing the little ampersand symbol on the return-type. Cue complaints about "but that would be a performance problem"...

It wouldn''t. That''s what I would recommend as well, unless the class was rediculously large/had a very expensive constructor and was called several (hundred) times so as to directly influence performance. My vector and matrix classes which generate a third value result use this convention without problem.

In short, I concur with SabreMan.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Google! ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!

My compiler doesn''t do named return value optimization , so it isn''t particularly desirable to do that, as it will require a copy.

Unnamed return values are optimized properly (i.e. constructed on the stack of the caller, not constructed on the stack of the callee and then copied to the stack of the caller), so are generally preferable, if possible.

quote:
Original post by DrPizza
My compiler doesn''t do named return value optimization , so it isn''t particularly desirable to do that, as it will require a copy.

That''s a shame, but I still think the original intention should be kept intact until it is determined to be a problem. If you''re talking about MS, then I''ve just tried V6 and you''re right: it doesn''t do NRV. Bugger! Do you know if the new compiler implements this?

quote:
Original post by SabreMan
That''s a shame, but I still think the original intention should be kept intact until it is determined to be a problem. If you''re talking about MS, then I''ve just tried V6 and you''re right: it doesn''t do NRV. Bugger! Do you know if the new compiler implements this?

Unfortunately, it doesn''t seem to. It''s quite surprising (as it''s for most things the best x86 optimizing compiler I''ve used, this being the most obvious deficit) but there we go.

Maybe version 14 (or whatever the possible VS.NET 7.1 release will be called) will have it....

If that release materializes and does what is suggested, it should be very nice indeed.