Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ID3DXSprite and DirectX 8

This topic is 5750 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am using D3DXSprite''s to draw textures to the screen. I am also using D3DXMESH to draw mesh''s to the screen. The problem is I can not get the Sprites to be drawn as a background for the mesh. If I do this sprite.render(); mesh.render(); The entire 50 pixel by 50 pixel sprite is drawn to the screen, even over the mesh. if I do this mesh.render(); sprite.render(); The 50 pixel by 50 pixel sprite is correctly drawn (but with alpha blending enabled) to the screen over the mesh. How can I draw the sprites behind the 3D Objects? Thanks... //Code sample for sprite render D3DXCreateSprite(m_pd3dDevice, &testSprite); testSprite->Begin(); for (int i=128; i<300; i+=5){ testSprite->Draw( m_pTexture, &rectangle, &m_Scaling, &m_RotCenter, m_Rotation, &trans, m_ModulateColor ); testSprite->End(); //Code sample for mesh render for( int i = 0 ; i < m_NumMats ; i++ ) { // Set this material as active pMaterials.Update(); // Set this texture as active Direct3dDevice->SetTexture( 0, pTextures[i] ); // Render this subset of the mesh testMesh->DrawSubset(i); // Reset the vertex shader Direct3dDevice->SetVertexShader( VERTEX_TYPE ); }

There is a draw method for ID3DXSprite that takes a matrix as a parameter - I am still not sure if you''ll be able to use this to draw it behind..(when I used it it was for a 2d demo)
ID3DXSprite::DrawTransform

HRESULT DrawTransform(
LPDIRECT3DTEXTURE8 pSrcTexture,
CONST RECT* pSrcRect,
CONST D3DXMATRIX* pTransform,
D3DCOLOR Color
);

I was drawing the sprite before the mesh. The problem was that the Z translation of a id3dxsprite defaults to 0.
I fixed the problem though, you need to use the drawtransform method and set a matrix so that it''s z translation value = 1.

Corey