Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bahamas

Mindpixels in MMORPGs ?

Today I was on www.mindpixel.com and it gave me an idea: On a future MMORPG the servers could archive all the in-game dicussions between players, make a "mindpixels" database with it and use it for making the bots/NPCs conversations more "interesting". What do you think about it?

It sounds like a good idea, but it would be extremely easy for the program to take disscussions out of context. If it had a really good learning algorithm or something then it might work, but if npc''s remain mere signposts, this isn''t really a feature I think the mmorpg world needs. If the scope of the ai bots grows, to the point where npc''s perform a substanitially greater role, then I think it would be better to preprogram their dialogue using some sort of simplified sentance combiner so that they talk about things which were relevant. Although it would be funny if you tell someone who annoys you on the game to "go to h*ll" and the next day you ask the shopkeeper to see his goods and he responds with, "go to h*ll!"

hehe

Really, ALL? There needs to be some filtering, comparing it to past mindpixels and getting rid of duplicate at the least.

How would it be used? I think of one answer because of my own dream MMORPG project and a problem it faces, but perhaps this information could be used as gossip and rumors, in order to generate a lot of interest in a particular quest or treasure.

How else? I mean, have you figured out or have they released information on how mindpixel''s are supposed to create that ai of theirs?

If the NPC conversations should be made more lifelike it will take some form of NLP that understands and can use the Mindpixels.

Also, I''ve been to the site and registered but couldn''t log on so I gave up on it a long time ago.

I have a better project anyway, it will surf the net and learn on its own(as soon as I get it to work).

Good luck Rolando, it sounds like an awesome idea; not sure if the internet is the best learning ground for a strapping young protoge, but being artificial it does fit I hope you are able to get it to work, it will obviously require a lot of effort to get it started, and probably much guided training at the begining before you are able to let it loose and roaming free.

Maybe it will be smart enough to run for president?

LOL, but I'' m in France. Presidential elections are coming soon.
If you heard a little about this you might know that one of the cndidates and present President (Jacques Chirac) is accused of misapporpriating of public funds. A "President AI" for France should be intelligent enough to be crooked and to cheat!

About "Mindpixels":
1)They could be used for rumors.
2)They could be used to produce new responses to certain sentences.
A trivial example: after a week the server sees that 1000 players
have said "f*ck" and that 95% of the responses by other players were "s*ck". The AI program could then decide that instead of the preprogrammed sentence "what are you meaning" the NPCs should say "s*ck" to people that are saying "f*ck".
3) The third resembles to both 1) and 2) so I might not differentiate it. The program may watch vocabulary and sentences that can be (accurately enough) associated whithin a given context. These "contexts" should be preprogrammed.
Examples of contexts: players are inside the Cave of the Dragon.They are likely to speak about the Dragon. So when a player speaks to an NPC about the Dragon, the NPC could "reuse" some vocabulary heard about the Dragon.
The players have taken their swords-> they are likely to speak about fight.
Or: The word "King Henry" is used 10 times in a 20-sentences conversation. The "context" is King Henry.

I think that these "mindpixels" would require a good syntax and vocabulary analyser to be useful. I don'' t know if that exists.
I don'' t know if "mindpixels" are worth the effort for a MMORPG.
Anyway it was just an idea, I'' m a total newbie in AI programming.