Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RickyPiller

My First Pixel :) : do you remember yours?

RickyPiller    122
I just displayed my very first pixel on my primary surface today. There''s just no better feeling then drawing your first pixel with a new graphics API. Do any of you remember the first time you got DDraw working and plotted your first pixel? DDraw. She has double D''''s

MindFlayer    262
Yeah! Just few years ago I got my first pixels on screen with Pascal & VGA $a000 The feeling was absolutely stunning! I felt almost same when I moved on DirectDraw/Direct3D few months ago

And the best thing is: You have *always* something new to learn!

shakazed    138
Ah yes! I remember a couple of yeas ago I displayed my very first pixel using mode13h. That was something quite remarkable in thos days

sHaKaZeD

THE Omega    122
know what makes it even better? when you''re in the middle of a school programming class and your class is just starting graphics and you''re the first one to get a pixel up and everyone crowds around your computer oohing and aahing.

JonnyBoy    122
Blimey I feel old. Mine was on the Vic-20 (made by Commodore).

This was a colour machine, which came with 3.5k (yes kilobytes) of RAM. If you could afford it you could by a 16k upgrade.

This was state of the art computing.

Stooby    122
quote:
Original post by JonnyBoy
Mine was on the Vic-20 (made by Commodore).

I keep my Commodore Pet well fed and watered, although she is getting a little long in the tooth.

Lonely    122
I love that feeling...

I remember the days of GW-BASIC, that was I think where my *FIRST* pixel was... then I moved on to Q-BASIC, and to DOS, and then to GDI, finally DDraw, and then D3D8... It gets less & less amazing every time, but it''s still a really cool feeling

Ahh... I''m getting all nostalgic thinking of my old XT

-Lonely

Drilian    1067
My first pixel was in QBasic, where a friend had written a little text-based shooter and I updated it to use putimage code and made it display in graphics mode.

I agree that it''s not as "amazing" to get a pixel up and running like it used to be.

Mostly because, back in the day of Mode 13H or, God forbid, VESA 640x480x256 (ESPECIALLY the non-linear frame buffer modes), drawing pixels took WORK. Well, maybe not in mode 13H. But definitely in VESA. Whoooo boy that was a pain. You had to mess with granularity and stuff.

Now, with DX (back when DirectDraw ruled the Earth), it got simpler. Lock() WriteToMemory() Unlock()

I haven''t tried it with DX8 so I''m not sure if that whole pixel thing with the locking and the stuff works the same as it did with DDraw. But in DX8, why settle for a pixel when you can get a polygon? A polygon now is the "amazing" scene building block.

Kinda a neo replacement for the pixel.

Just my random sleep-deprived thoughts.

PS. When I was your age, we didn''t have air. Hadn''t been invented yet.

Taulin    100
I don''t know about that. Before, I had about a 5 line asm function that popped it into mode 13h, and drawing a pixel was as easy as using an array.

For DDraw, and such, you have to setup your device, and all of that jazz. I think in reality, drawing simple ''Pixels'' has gotten harder. Please understand drawing a textured polygon, though, is WWAAAAAAYYYY easier.

Xgkkp    122
gotta be on The ZX-Spectrum, but i didn''t really understand it much ( i was only 6 ). So the first has got to be QBasic. I remember i then started trying to draw pictures using lots of plotting single pixels.

Incidentally, I found an ond ZX-81 the other day, I didn''t know that we owned one.... its even got basic manuals with it - one called Peek, Poke and Ram..............

Programmer One    746
My first pixle was on the TI-83 Graphing calculator using z80 assemble....twas very kewl - crashed that calculator''s memory, but still excellent. ^_^

ICQ #: 149510932
Google - OpenGL - DirectX - Windows Guide Network - MSDN - Symantec Virus Info
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein

Hyatus    122
Well, if LOGO(that old crap program for Apple pcs) doesn''t count,
then my first pixel was in QBasic...white, I believe.

-Hyatus
"da da da"

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
LDA #$00
TAX
Loop: STA $400,x
STA $500,x
STA $600,x
STA $700,x
INX
BNE Loop:
RTS

oh...where is my C=64 Merlin Assembler...

JonnyBoy    122
Wow, that 6502 brings back some memories. And I can still read it too.

Hey, and didn''t you get a better quality of crash on the C-64 ? Every one was a surprize, multi coloured ones, scrolling screen ones, some even made noises. Fantastic. Not that my code crashed much or anything!

I knew some guys in the games business. They used to write Z80 code (speccy, Amstrad & GameBoy). They used they''re own dev kit. And to make the dev kit, they *hand assembled* an assembler (seriously). They then used this thing for about 10 years afterwards. They also created their own editor (again hand assembled). I went to do a contract for them, and they kept trying to get me to use it. Sod that, it was shit! They even built their own ROM emulator for console development.

Does anyone remember the first cross development system PDS ? It was for developing 6502, & Z80 stuff. It originally ran on Apricot Xi''s, but then they did a PC version.

It came with a built in graphics editor (the days when you did your own graphics), which would literally dump a load of hex code into your source.

S1CA    1418
First pixel through own code was in BASIC on a friends Sinclair ZX81 in about 1984-85. Although technically it was 16 pixels since it was just using the 4x4 chunky character mode rather than a proper plotter.

I''d made pixels move through interaction earlier on Atari & Binatone (IIRC) TV games (and a hand held Space Invaders).

First serious pixels were on the C64 a year or two later (remember the balloon sprite tutorial in the programmers guide ?) - thats also where I did my first assembly - also hand assembled (my programmers guide still has the decimal numbers for the instructions penciled in ) since I didn''t have an assembler.

JonnyBoy: do you mean Cross PDS SNASM ? - I''ve remember that, though never actually used it to create anything myself.

--
Simon O''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com