Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Switching the 2nd display off

This topic is 5750 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi all, I would like to know how I can switch the 2nd display on a system off. Many games fail to work when the 2nd display is enabled (or don''t start at all). So I thought it would be a nice idea to write a little prog that can be run from a batch file. Any idea''s ? TIA, Hightree Reality, is that where the pizza delivery guy comes from ?

Those games are bugged then - report the bug to their authors.

If they don''t work on a desktop PC with that setup, then they won''t work on a laptop either (the LCD is one monitor, the docking port is a 2nd one!), or even some TVOut cards.
Which at the end of the day is pretty lame!

This is often a driver specific thing, but you can usually disable the second monitor trivially in the first page of the display settings of a multimon setup!.

--
Simon O''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Ok, I''ll write mr. Carmac a note
I have this problem (not starting) with Medal of Honour, and I''ve seen it in more Q3-gased games.

I know one can disable the display manually, but I want to do it by software.

Maybe there''s some DirectX function to do this ?

CU, Hightree

Reality, is that where the pizza delivery guy comes from ?

Send the publisher a note - a broken game is a broken game - (maybe I''m biased though since every commercial product I''ve written graphics code for HAS worked on multimon ) I''d also guess Mr Carmack probably had nothing to do with that part of the Q2/Q3 engine code.

To fix it properly you''d probably need to work out *why* the game was going wrong with multimon first

- is it because its assuming that adapter 0 in a DirectDraw call is the monitor the user wants to play on ?

- is it because its expecting the desktop to be a certain size ?

- is it because of a mode enumeration problem ?

etc..

and related to that you''ll have to find out why its making that assumption, i.e. *how* its doing stuff - for example does it use DirectDraw at all ? it may be using the ChangeDisplaySettings() call for example.

Also beware that MOH does have other *bugs* some of which seem to the be related to the way it (appears to) starts its server in a separate process. The commonly known issue is the game locking up, crashing etc with auto-dial set in their dial up networking options.

AFAIK the Windows and DirectX APIs only contains direct functions to *enumerate* the monitor configuration of a machine rather than *set* it. You''d probably have to go to the DDK level or hardware profiles level to disable a monitor programmatically.

If I do think of a way I''ll let you know.

--
Simon O''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com