Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dino

Is this really slow?

I''m working on a 3D terrain engine that renders a simple heightmap. I was playing around with OpenGL, trying to see what would be the best way of rendering the terrain so I wrote a little test program. However, in order to render a 10x10 tile map (with varying heights) I get a lousy 16 FPS! I''m running a P3 500 with an ATI 3D Rage Pro AGP 2x. I know that this isn''t the ideal 3D machine, but I know that Half-Life (and it''s various mods) runs nicely on this machine at 800x600 (probably low 20 FPS). What am I doing wrong? The tiles are rendered using GL_TRIANGLE_STRIP. The array of vertices is loaded into the vertex array. What''s wrong here? Here''s the link to my test program: http://chosendestiny.com/files/iso3d.exe

make sure your doin 16bit. also make sure you got he latest drivers. the rage pro is a MASSIVLY slow video card (and got only 4mb of ram). consider purchasing a voodoo2, you would be doing yourslef a huge favor. make sure you textures are not huge. that framrate you are getting does seem low, but then again the rage pro has terrible win9x opengl support. consider d3d where the rage pro drivers perform much better. though a voodoo2 in fullscreen mode will definatly be MUCH better. make sure vsync is off. half-life does not run well at all in opengl on a rage pro. you may have half-life set to use d3d, whihc is why its getting better performence (or even set to use software mode).

quote:
Original post by a person
consider purchasing a voodoo2, you would be doing yourslef a huge favor

ROFLMGDFAO!!!!!

Get a GeForce based card... dont go anywhere near a voodoo

-----------------------
"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else''s drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack

I tried it on my dual 1.2 athlon with a geforce 3...only 37 fps. You''re doing something wrong. Try to figure out exactly how many polygons you''re drawing per frame, maybe you''re doing some extra work you didn''t think you were doing.

quote:
Original post by ZealousElixir
No, that rate under WINE is not really unusual.

I meant it was weird after seeing the FPS that Sjelkjd posted . It seems like I''m not the only one without a low FPS though.

640 -> 650 (60fps soild with vsync on)

Althon 1.4
Win2K
768Meg
Ge-Force 3 Ti200 (oc to same speed as a Ti500)
27.42 Det drivers

intrestingly when the window doesnt have focus, and is behind other windows, the fps go up to 1110 -> 1400 :D

Thanks everyone who gave the program a quick run.

Thanks to a few comments made by the people who ran the program, I tested out a few options. First, since the scene is rendered in windowed mode, I dropped my desktop color depth from 24 to 16. Got an extra 6 FPS. Second I made the window resizable. The smaller the window got, the more FPS I got. All these clues point to one thing: It reached the fill limit.

Now with the problem diagnosed, how to I remedy the problem? Ideally, I want to maintain a 800x600 resolution with 16bit color. My video card has 8mb of memory. The resolution 800x600 with 16bit color takes up 938KB of that memory. Memory shouldn''t be an issue with me right?

Thanks for any input!

Well, I got a max of 250fps on an Althon 900, 640Mb RAM, 32Mb Geforce2 MX.

One thing though, instead of calling glArrayElements on the vertex array use glDrawElements instead. Also, I see that you are using glVertex3f and glColor3f in your code somewhere, if you are using vertex arrays these are not needed at all - unless you are using them just for drawing the lines at the center?

Also use backface culling ( You haven't used glFrontFace anywhere in your program ).

( Btw - if you're wondering, I used the "Dependeny" Tool from MSVC++ 6 to find out what you're calling... )

[ EDIT - mistake ]

Death of one is a tragedy, death of a million is just a statistic.

[edited by - python_regious on March 20, 2002 9:44:47 AM]

352 FPS
That''s not too slow

Should you change your video card don''t get a 3Dfx (not decent OpenGL drivers AFAIK), get anything else, that has been released in the last 12 months.

Athlon Classic 700MHz
ASUS K7V
384MB SDRAM133
ATI RadeOn VIVO 64MB DDR
Windows 2000 Pro SP2

-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-

Yeah Geforce 4 440 MX It''s like 100 U.S dollars more or less. I think...

And 150 $ worthless, should be tossed in the garbage, Canadian currency

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Dino

Now with the problem diagnosed, how to I remedy the problem? Ideally, I want to maintain a 800x600 resolution with 16bit color. My video card has 8mb of memory. The resolution 800x600 with 16bit color takes up 938KB of that memory. Memory shouldn''t be an issue with me right?

I haven''t tried your program, so just ignore me if you aren''t texturing yet, but...

Have you tried disabling texturing? If that helps, you should try chaning your texture filtering modes, or reducing the size of your texture(s). Having an overly detailed texture can impact frame rate.

rage pro does not accelearte 24bit opengl well, nor does windowed mode well. go for a fullscreen mode (possible you are using the software renderer, since the ragepro is quite bad with opengl). 24bit is not accelerated. stick to 16bit mode fullscreen, look at the fullscreen tutorials and try coding things a la voodoo cards.

Whoops, apparently I was using the reference drivers that came with WinXP (cuz i installed 23.11 then 21.83 then rolled back).

Anyway, I retested with the 27.70s, and i get about 600 FPS.

Sorry for the confusion.

My old rage pro 8mb works quite well with GL in win9x. Perhaph you should try setting your desktop to 32 bits and rendering in a window, it works well as long as it the card dont dither the image. I dont know why ati did that, but at 16 bpp the card is doing dithering everywhere, its uglier than plain 16 bpp and it''s heck slow.

Guest Anonymous Poster
win98,AMD XP 1600+,Radeon 8500
CRASH!