Is this really slow?

Started by
19 comments, last by Dino 22 years ago
Thanks everyone who gave the program a quick run.

Thanks to a few comments made by the people who ran the program, I tested out a few options. First, since the scene is rendered in windowed mode, I dropped my desktop color depth from 24 to 16. Got an extra 6 FPS. Second I made the window resizable. The smaller the window got, the more FPS I got. All these clues point to one thing: It reached the fill limit.

Now with the problem diagnosed, how to I remedy the problem? Ideally, I want to maintain a 800x600 resolution with 16bit color. My video card has 8mb of memory. The resolution 800x600 with 16bit color takes up 938KB of that memory. Memory shouldn''t be an issue with me right?

Thanks for any input!

Dino M. Gambone
Good judgment is gained through experience. Experience, however, is gained through bad judgment.

Currently working on Rise of Praxis MUD: http://www.riseofpraxis.net/

Advertisement
Well, I got a max of 250fps on an Althon 900, 640Mb RAM, 32Mb Geforce2 MX.

One thing though, instead of calling glArrayElements on the vertex array use glDrawElements instead. Also, I see that you are using glVertex3f and glColor3f in your code somewhere, if you are using vertex arrays these are not needed at all - unless you are using them just for drawing the lines at the center?

Also use backface culling ( You haven't used glFrontFace anywhere in your program ).

( Btw - if you're wondering, I used the "Dependeny" Tool from MSVC++ 6 to find out what you're calling... )

[ EDIT - mistake ]

Death of one is a tragedy, death of a million is just a statistic.

[edited by - python_regious on March 20, 2002 9:44:47 AM]
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.
352 FPS
That''s not too slow

Should you change your video card don''t get a 3Dfx (not decent OpenGL drivers AFAIK), get anything else, that has been released in the last 12 months.

Athlon Classic 700MHz
ASUS K7V
384MB SDRAM133
ATI RadeOn VIVO 64MB DDR
Windows 2000 Pro SP2

-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
Yeah Geforce 4 440 MX It''s like 100 U.S dollars more or less. I think...

And 150 $ worthless, should be tossed in the garbage, Canadian currency
quote:Original post by Dino

Now with the problem diagnosed, how to I remedy the problem? Ideally, I want to maintain a 800x600 resolution with 16bit color. My video card has 8mb of memory. The resolution 800x600 with 16bit color takes up 938KB of that memory. Memory shouldn''t be an issue with me right?

I haven''t tried your program, so just ignore me if you aren''t texturing yet, but...

Have you tried disabling texturing? If that helps, you should try chaning your texture filtering modes, or reducing the size of your texture(s). Having an overly detailed texture can impact frame rate.
He isn''t using textures...
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.
rage pro does not accelearte 24bit opengl well, nor does windowed mode well. go for a fullscreen mode (possible you are using the software renderer, since the ragepro is quite bad with opengl). 24bit is not accelerated. stick to 16bit mode fullscreen, look at the fullscreen tutorials and try coding things a la voodoo cards.
win98, voodoo3, it crashed
Whoops, apparently I was using the reference drivers that came with WinXP (cuz i installed 23.11 then 21.83 then rolled back).

Anyway, I retested with the 27.70s, and i get about 600 FPS.

Sorry for the confusion.
My old rage pro 8mb works quite well with GL in win9x. Perhaph you should try setting your desktop to 32 bits and rendering in a window, it works well as long as it the card dont dither the image. I dont know why ati did that, but at 16 bpp the card is doing dithering everywhere, its uglier than plain 16 bpp and it''s heck slow.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement