what do you hate about most RTS games

Started by
33 comments, last by nellspot 22 years ago
I am very interested in peoples opinion....what do you hate about most RTS games?
Advertisement
I hate the way there''s little strategy in them. Generally they just boil down to a rock-paper-scissors game which is as they should but there should also be more elements of strategy. It should be simple that an actual war game where the strategy is the main point but I believe it should be there.

tj963
tj963
Peon pumping
Micromanagement
Focus Fire
Grunt rushes
Dumb rushes > elaborate tactics
bad pathfinding
frenetic clicking
Dumbed down features (i.e. no morale, no supply)
that they are RTS. hehe.

(c) 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd, 0:1
(c) 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd, 0:1
I hate it when I have to reload the game till I get the right strategy to beat it/them/whatever
Deadlocking. Either you crush your enemy in a rush from the start, or you both have to build up enormous stores of troops and sprawling bases, and it ends up in an all-out attack, or a perpetual war of attrition. This was the worst problem with StarCraft.

Later,
ZE.

//email me.//zealouselixir software.//msdn.//n00biez.//
miscellaneous links

[if you have a link proposal, email me.]

[twitter]warrenm[/twitter]

I think other people have nailed the main ones already.

In single-player games, I hated the fact that trial and error was usually the best way to win. Command and Conquer almost enforced this in some missions, especially the limited units ones. Bad design decisions, guys! It makes winning a factor of how much time you have on your hands, not how much skill you apply.

In Total Annihilation, I hate the fact that all the units look very similar, act very similar, and are worth about the same 90% of the time, I just build several of everything available to me and that serves me well.

Multiplayer games of any RTS are usually unsatisfying for the reasons above... either one person wins with an early strike, or everyone builds up a massive force and neither are very willing to make a move. I actually don''t mind this providing there are other ways to win besides all-out destruction. (Age of Empires, for example.)

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost ]
sara, what part of rts don''t you like? and just out of curiousity, what kind of a game do you prefer?
The world has achieved brilliance without wisdom, power without conscience. Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. We know more about war than we know about peace, more about killing than we know about living. We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the Sermon on the Mount." - General Omar Bradley
I don''t hate micro-management in itself, just how hard it is to pull some micro-management off. For instance, in StarCraft, you fly over some computer terrans, and all your planes get locked down by about 10 ghosts. For a human to pull this off is much harder. I never really got the hang of it. Either I''d miss clicking on the little ghost, or lose him entirely amongst my buildings. To do it properly, you''d need every ghost individually hot-keyed (major waste of hot-keys) and know the hot-keys for lockdown, then do it very fast 12 times. Much easier to go protoss with 48 scouts (on money maps that is).

It would be cool if you could write scripts for your individual units. Like
if enemy IS mechanical AND NOT LockedDown   lockdown(enemy)end 
I think my biggest gripe is that they''re usually way too similar. Like Warcraft was not much different from Command and Conquer, and Command and Conquer was not much different from the Dune RTS a while back. Warcraft has gotten better about making neat and interesting units, but I like differences. Myth was different but I didnt like it for some reason. I can''t exactly put my finger on what it is I didn''t like, it just didnt click with me. Don''t get me wrong, RTS games are ok sometimes...I especially liked StarCraft.

-=Lohrno

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement