Fonts, TGA somethings wrong

Started by
4 comments, last by Vlade0000 22 years ago
Hi guys/gals i''m using nehe''s bitmap fonts, now when i want to make my own custom font (just a new TGA) but when i load my TGA i made in photoshop (i''m sure its 32bit) all my fonts is blank, zip, nothing. i think the problem lies with my TGA loader, i just have problems with TGA''s i make myself, should i use a specific program to make my TGA''s? Oh my own 24bit TGA''s work fine! any ideas, links? cheers
Advertisement
If memory serves, Photoshop doesn''t account for the TGA attribute (more commonly referred to as alpha) channel in 32 bit images.

You can add a layer after loading to account for that, and all should be instantly well. IF... memory serves.
In photoshop load up your font image then on the little panel that has the channels, layers, paths window. click the tab that says channels, then on the bottom of that window click new channel an new channel should appear saying Alpha. click on the top channel which should be RGB and hit ctrl-a for select all. Copy it and then select your alpha channel and paste. anything showing up in white on your alpha channel will be opaque while anything in black will be transparent. Just save the image and when it asks you what bit depth you would like to use select 32 bit and walla tga with alpha.
Thanx a million Derilect101 it works 110%!

now i can use my own fonts yippy!

see programmers (ok.. some like me) should not work with graphic editing programs! hehe let the artist handle that stuff hehe
for single coloured text (eg for fps + debbuging help) u dont need alpha, just use a luminance texture with black as the background + white text + use blending mode of say one,dst_color

http://uk.geocities.com/sloppyturds/gotterdammerung.html
I do all of my text using just an alpha-channel. That way I can have anti-aliased edges on all the characters.

Iain HutchisonProgrammer, Silicon DreamsThe views expressed here are my own, not those of my employer.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement