Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ewiar

Randomness

I''m designing a relatively simple basketball game to amuse myself and a few friends. I want to put in a rudimentary AI but I know almost nothing about it. My game has very simple choices at any given point(it''s turn-based and you usually have 2 or 3 choices of 2 or 3 options per turn) If I put in a simple AI it will be pretty easy to guess what it'' s going to do. I''ve decided to make part of the decision making random. How much randomness is too much and just invalidates the AI altogether?

That depends on the situation. Considering the simplicity of the AI in the game, I''d say just set up different difficulty levels based on how random. The hardest difficulty would have nothing random (or very little random), and the easiest difficulty would be very random. As I said, how much for each you really justhave to toy with. "How random" is really hard to say, especially without being given the complete situation and the currently implemented AI.

--------------------
Matthew Calabrese
Realtime 3D Orchestra:
Programmer, Composer,
and 3D Artist/Animator
"I can see the music..."

My opion is that if all the choices are valid/good, then it doesnt matter how randomly they get picked. You have the right idea. Make a list of choices for differnt situations. Then simply pick a choice and move on.