Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Linked Lists (using the list class)

This topic is 5747 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m trying to read a list of names from a file using linked lists, and im using that list class in list.h well im not sure how to read whole names so what i decided to do was make individual lists for individual names then make a list of those names. Sounds like it''d work just fine, but of course due to my programming expertize (or lack of) I can''t manage to do this so would someone like to first explain why this doesnt work and then a better solution? See I do something like this struct NAME // Holds an individual name { list m_Name; }; NAME somename; char letter; while(letter != ''*'') // * indicates end of name in data file { file >> letter; somename.m_Name.insert(m_Name.end(), letter); } /*But for some reason this doesnt work Why the hell not damnit Its like that insert function isnt a part of m_Name, i dont get it. grrrr any other suggestions or explanations?*/

I suggest you use "push_back":

#include <list>

using namespace std;

// ...

struct NAME // Holds an individual name

{
list<char> m_Name; // I assume you mean this

};

NAME somename;
char letter;

while(letter != ''*'') // * indicates end of name in data file

{