Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help! My Bitmap Drawing Function is Insane!

This topic is 5753 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Can anyone find anything wrong with this bitmap drawing function? Sometimes it works, like if the bitmap is 64 by 64, but if i change it to 50 by 50, it doesn''t. It draws the map all sideways. I can''t figure it out. Here it is: // DrawBitmap int DrawBitmap(int x, int y, int width, int height, LPDIRECTDRAWSURFACE7 lpdds, char *filename, int cx, int cy) { // clean the surface Fill_Surface(lpdds,0); // load the 8-bit image if (!Load_Bitmap_File(&bitmap,filename)) return(0); // clear ddsd and set size DDRAW_INIT_STRUCT(ddsd2); // copy the bitmap image to the primary buffer line by line // lock the primary surface lpdds->Lock(NULL,&ddsd2, DDLOCK_SURFACEMEMORYPTR | DDLOCK_WAIT,NULL); // get video pointer to primary surfce USHORT *primary_buffer = (USHORT *)ddsd2.lpSurface; // compute starting location on surface //primary_buffer += (x+y*(ddsd2.lPitch/2)); if(SCREEN_BPP == 16 && bitmap.bitmapinfoheader.biBitCount == 24) { // process each line and copy it into the primary buffer for (int index_y = 0; index_y < height; index_y++) { for (int index_x = 0; index_x < width; index_x++) { // rip out the UCHAR boundried 8-bit color segments for passing to the 16-bit color word macro int pos = (index_y)*(bitmap.bitmapinfoheader.biWidth)*3 + (index_x)*3; // compute position UCHAR blue = (bitmap.buffer[pos]>>3), // 5 bits for blue green = (bitmap.buffer[pos+1]>>2), // 6 bits for green red = (bitmap.buffer[pos+2]>>3); // 5 bits for red // this builds a 32 bit color value in A.8.8.8 format USHORT pixel = _RGB16BIT565(red,green,blue); // write the pixel primary_buffer[index_x + (index_y*ddsd2.lPitch/2)] = pixel; } // end for index_x } // end for index_y } // now unlock the primary surface if (FAILED(lpdds->Unlock(NULL))) return(0); // unload the bitmap file, we no longer need it if(!Unload_Bitmap_File(&bitmap)) return(0); return(1); // return success }// end DrawBitmap

Does it work if the Bitmap is 32 * 32 ?
Or 16*16 ?

If so, there have been a few threads recently, try searching the archive. It is to do with bitmaps being packed up to a word boundary IIRC.

If it doesn''t work then I apologise

Guest Anonymous Poster
I beleive the bitmap width has to be divisible by 4 (or was it 8) otherwise it adds padding.. so you''d have to do something like this...

int leftover = width&3; //how many left after 4? (same as width%4.. except faster)

unsigned long pos=0; //Starts at 0

for (int index_y = 0; index_y < height; index_y++)
{
for (int index_x = 0; index_x < width; index_x++)
{
// rip out the UCHAR boundried 8-bit color segments for passing to the 16-bit color word macro

//Lets not compute pos within our loops with multiplication..

//Instead, we just start at 0 and increment...

//Gives the exact same results!

UCHAR blue = (bitmap.buffer[pos]>>3), // 5 bits for blue

green = (bitmap.buffer[pos+1]>>2), // 6 bits for green

red = (bitmap.buffer[pos+2]>>3); // 5 bits for red

pos+=3; //Increment pos by 3 (R,G,B)

/* Your comment says it builds a 32-bit color value?
But aren''t you building a 16 bit value? 5.6.5?*/

// this builds a 32 bit color value in A.8.8.8 format

USHORT pixel = _RGB16BIT565(red,green,blue);

// write the pixel

primary_buffer[index_x + (index_y*ddsd2.lPitch/2)] = pixel;

} // end for index_x

pos+=leftover*3; //Increment by the padding!

} // end for index_y

*Note This is untested, but should work. By your description I think this was the problem (makes each line look off a bit since it''s adding padding to each line). Also, it may just be easier to simply make sure you''re Bitmap widths are divisible by 4 (or was it 8?)... then you don''t have to worry about it :D

Billy - BillyB@mrsnj.com