Scene Graph..what is it?

Started by
6 comments, last by Pav 22 years, 1 month ago
hi guys, um, i''m building a 3D engine now, and someone told me that i need a scene graph..can u please explain to me what that is exactly and how i do it? thanx.
Advertisement
*sigh*, let me introduce you to a friend of mine named Google:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&oe=ISO-8859-1&q=%22what+is+a+scene+graph%22

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&oe=ISO-8859-1&q=%22scene+graph%22

A scene graph is a high level way of managing graphics scenes. It is often a DAG (Directed Acyclic Graph) data structure containing the relationships (heirarchy etc) between graphics entities (nodes).

Sometimes it also manages low level device dependent state.

--
Simon O''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

well S1CA, I think your friend google does not provide any solution this time.. I am not the actual poster but i couldn''t keep my mouth shut, sorry, here we go;

1. when you search in google for scene graph you get 28000 pages. since there are lots of people implementing "great" 3d engines on their own, most of those google hits are their advertisements. you can hardly find a resource to understand the phenomena.

2. people sometimes ask questions here that they can easily find the answers from google or Articles&Resources section in GameDev, BUT this is not the case.

3. I "know" what a scene graph, dag, etc, but I still look for some good resources to implement a robust scene manager.

4. I would like to give some pointers to original poster, but actually all I could find up to now is bits and pieces on the net (the sites I found from google in last three months). You can try sgl.sourceforge.net perhaps. That''s the best starting point perhaps I can suggest..

hope that helps..

cheers

-----------
my quote is under construction
-----------my quote is under construction
quote:Original post by mentat
well S1CA, I think your friend google does not provide any solution this time.. I am not the actual poster but i couldn''t keep my mouth shut, sorry, here we go;

1. when you search in google for scene graph you get 28000 pages. since there are lots of people implementing "great" 3d engines on their own, most of those google hits are their advertisements. you can hardly find a resource to understand the phenomena.

I just did a search for +"scene graph" in google. Of the 1st 4 links returned, two were open source scene graph libraries (example source!) and one was entitled ''Scene graph basics.''

Looks pretty good to me?

mentat:

Although my response may have been harsh (perhaps too harsh...), these boards seem to have a few visitors who don''t seem willing to even *attempt* to do ANY research for themselves before asking for help.

If the original poster had said "I''ve read XYZ book in my local library and I don''t understand the ABC part about scene graphs", I wouldn''t have responded in such a way.

The original post read (to me) a bit like one of the "I know some C++, how do I make a game, plz make sure you give me full source code and instructions" type questions.

A Google search returning 28000 entries should surely be enough to answer the question of "what" a scene graph is.

Maybe its that I remember the days when Usenet and your local BBS were the only real places to ask technical questions online and that you''d be flamed for much less.

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

well, you are right on that S1CA, sorry...

I am just another guy trying to understand scene graphs. I don''t need source code, I need theory, and I checked almost everywhere including google...

cheers
-----------my quote is under construction
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=84922

Moe''s Site
Although maybe you didn''t realize, coming here and asking questions IS research..

''I sure could use a vacation from this bullshit three ring circus sideshow of freaks...'' - TOOL
[TheBlackJester]

"With my feet upon the ground I lose myself between the sounds and open wide to suck it in, I feel it move across my skin. I'm reaching up and reaching out. I'm reaching for the random or what ever will bewilder me, what ever will bewilder me. And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been. We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been." - Maynard James Keenan Name: [email=darkswordtbj@hotmail.com]TheBlackJester[/email]Team: Wildfire Games
Projects O A.D.The Last Alliance

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement