Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ehamliptoran

URGENT!

I need help involving direct play, none of the samples compile what so ever, they all come up with about 7 - 23 unresolved externals all involving direct play, I have all the correct libraries loaded, and the right headers, altho I do have dplay.lib loaded and yet it doesnt exsist at all, but C++ doesnt complain about it not being there, I need help since this is where I am primarily working on at the moment, and it would help if i could actually compile stuff without errors thanx in advance The worst way to miss someone is to be sitting next to them, knowing you cant have them

What errors do you get ?

1. make sure you also link with dxguid.lib

2. make sure that the location of the DirectX SDK libraries and header file locations in MSVC are at the *top* of the search list.
a. Go to Tools->Options...
b. Select the Directories tab
c. Under include files, make sure the *FIRST* entry points to DXSDK\Include
d. Do the same for the libraries, the first should be DXSDK\lib

The reason for #one is simply that''s where DX stashes its GUIDs which is the way to create DPlay objects.

The reason for #two is that MSVC 6 and earlier ship with headers and libs for the DirectX SDK - unfortunately though - those are DirectX 5-7 headers.
When you install newer versions of the DirectX SDK, the SDK paths go at the END of the search lists which means for files with the same name but new contents, the compiler finds the OLD versions first which is why you have to move the new ones to the start of the search list.

--
Simon O''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Hey thanx the second option worked, it now compiles without any errors, man i racked my brain for hours on that one, and such a simple problem, thanx again

The worst way to miss someone is to be sitting next to them, knowing you cant have them