Is it possible to sell a game?

Started by
6 comments, last by Xeee 22 years ago
Let''s assume that me and my friends have made a really good game (something to b compared to quake and such stuff) , i''m in a country where no CD copyrights exists nor software development exists , so trying to sell and distribute it here is like try to try fishing in your bathroom , so is it possible to sell such a game to a big company (capcom , blizzard ,....) actually i don''t think that these companies buy games so is there another companies that does?? please give me some names . thanks for your help ...Xeee
xee..
Advertisement
What you''re after is a Games Publisher - many of the largest ones are in the US - for example:

Electronic Arts (www.ea.com)
Microsoft (www.microsoft.com/games)
THQ (www.thq.com)
Activision (www.activision.com)
Infogrames (www.infogrames.com)

There are also many companies who have in-house development teams AND act as external publishers for some external titles.

--
Simon O''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

thats a lot to assume, but breaking in with a big name publisher when in a foreign country is VERY difficult. this is due to the fact that you have different laws and buying your game would be more trouble then its worth since there would be lots of having to deal with differences in law. for instance you say your country has no CD copyright laws, right there would be a reason for a publisher to stay away from you. since what publisher would go to you to purchase a game when under your countries laws it would be legal (not 100% sure on this, but it seems to be true if based only on copyright and not trademark) for you to go to another publisher regardless of the contract (since your country dont honor copyright, you could conceivable sell the game to naother company). also if your under the age of 18, you cant even legally enter any american contract so no company would even talk to you.

you may look into selling the game online through a smaller publisher, but beware, some of the smaller publishers are a bit crooked. they wont push the game as you would like, and they will get more profit then you may wish to give up. plus in many cases they will OWN your game, thus you could not sell nor distribute your game any more since it is now their game. you may say there is no CD copyright laws in your country, but the publisher would own the actual code and you nothing. you could not go to another publisher, and you lose all your hardwork (you could not place the data on a CD to sell, since you would be breaking international law in that case.
Hi!

Just wanted you to know that Lionhead(http://www.lionhead.co.uk)
have some sort of Satellite project were they help software companies to publish their games or something similar

//Daniel
Thanks guys for your help .
I like Gamedev.Net Forums , they are always generous and kind .
when you ask you''ll find an answer !!
Really thank those who''re running the Forums

...Xeee
xee..
You might want to take a look at GarageGames.com or .net, or something. They are more geared towards publishing games from independent developers
Infogrames is French.

~CGameProgrammer( );

~CGameProgrammer( );Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.
Your best bet would be to get an agent. It is a bitter pill, as they take 10-12%, but they will 1) Do the leg work for you. 2) Know which publishers are on teh acquisition trail, and 3) Will have some idea of how much you can ask for.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement