I think i got to the right place

Started by
4 comments, last by kish 22 years, 1 month ago
hello peopel, I want to start from scratch, to make some simple game such as packman, I''ll make an erotic version of it. I have some good and healthy basic knowledge in win API, MFC, as well as C++ and OOP principles, and want to build my own game on this platform. also have a bit of actual experience in API prgramming. I also have a good sense for art and design. Do I need to use GDI objects for drawing graphics on the window ?!? My little experience tells me that the compter requires a lot of time to draw simple naive rectangles on the window, when it uses the Brush and Pen on the Device context. he is so slow and tedious, or maybe I just don''t use the GDI properly? My question is what is the basic way to draw object on the window of a simple computer games? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$ I love me $$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Advertisement
Ummmm.... O_O.
You don''t have to use GDI to draw graphics on a window. You can use Direct3D, DirectDraw, SDL, OpenGL, or any of the other 100 graphic API out there.
I don't have a signature
That is exsactly the problem:
so much graphic API''s, much data (99.999% of it is not relevant for me). Could you recommend me what source of data can help me?
Is it best to start with directx?

another question: what kind of programming environment do you use?
I could recommend some stuff to you, but it depends on what you want to learn. You COULD use GDI for your game, but it's slow, and weak, and you'll be yearning for more power.

I don't want to recommned learning DirectX first, cause I really don't need someone calling me an "API flame-war starter".
Some idiot might interpret my opinion as being stated as a fact cause I used the word "is."

Here are two articles that might help you make your decision.
http://www.xmission.com/~legalize/d3d-vs-opengl.html
http://www.libsdl.org/intro/toc.html

I'm not really sure what you mean by programming environment...but I use MSVC++ 6.0 Standard Edition. I work on a Compaq PII 333 MHZ, 256 mb RAM, with a GeForceII.

DirectX is the first API I've learned.

[edited by - Brian Jones on March 20, 2002 11:09:02 PM]
I don't have a signature
I''ll explain you exactly what do I mean by "programming environment": I can use the API''s directly (in VC++ 6 ) which means I have to dirt my hands with all of the little irritating details such as WNDCLASS registration, handles, a lot of pointers, ( I can do it, I know how, i learned it).
But it is much more elegant in MFC. So are u using MFC?
Not a lot of people use MFC for gaming. When you base a project on MFC - you get a LOT of baggage along with it. Initializing a window by hand is so much lighter and cleaner. Just deal with it and eventually it gets to be not to bad.

MFC is geared more toward normal applications. The functionality it exposes is perfect for office and productivity apps. Hell, It''s even decent for building the tools to build your game, but I definatley do not recommend it for the finished product.

Oh well,
Landsknecht
My sig used to be, "God was my co-pilot but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him..."
But folks whinned and I had to change it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement