Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

martinjy

Too much...

Anyone out there knowing how the starship movement/acceleration physics works in the Elite games? I''m writing a game where you freely control the angles of the ship, and each time you change direction, the acceleration vector changes accordingly. The speed vector is updated all the time. What happens is you have no control, as it is almost impossible to avoid sliding in all directions.

if there is friction, you deccelerate, if not you slide forever i guess..

-----------
my quote is under construction

who said it is easy to be a space pilot? that''s the way the universe works, dude...
anyways, if you are worried about the players getting annoyed, allow them to find/buy/just have "inertial dampeners" or some such fictional device... so even with no friction or outside forces a ship would slow down when not accelerating, and take less effort to re-aim or stop.
or, you could allow them to have some type of computer-aided navigation, so when they try to turn left it actually makes them turn in the direction "behind" left and account for all this...
of course, then you are just making up excuses to use unrealistic physics.

If you really want to avoid sliding, implement a certain amount of friction.

Apply the friction first, then the thrust.
This will enforce a maximum forward velocity and at the same time tend you out of a slide.

I played MS Space Simulator. The realistic sliding was REALLY annoying. Made docking VERY hard. Games are to have fun, not train for NASA!

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by martinjy
Anyone out there knowing how the starship movement/acceleration physics works in the Elite games? I''m writing a game where you freely control the angles of the ship, and each time you change direction, the acceleration vector changes accordingly. The speed vector is updated all the time. What happens is you have no control, as it is almost impossible to avoid sliding in all directions.

Ever play asteroids, or solar jetman for the NES? Sounds like what you''ve got here.

In those games, the difficult control was actually the focal point of the game. If that''s not your primary focus, I''d do as the other''s suggest (and as many games have done) and include some ''unrealistic friction.'' You can accomplish this by adding some constant acceleration opposite to your velocity vector when velcocity is non zero.