Turn Based Tactical Strategy

Started by
31 comments, last by Bandecko 22 years ago
I''m in the process off designing a stratergy game which is similiar to some off the above. Bassically all commanders plot their units movement. Then the turn is excuted in one step.
The way i see this, there is a commander giving out orders for the day, and then the troops follow those out best off their ability/interpretation based on what happens.

Personally I think most turn based games have limited stratergy because each side takes a turn to run their turns. Which means during your turn the other team is static. While the simultanous turn method you have to second guess your enemy, are they going to confront or avoid you? How many units will it take to destroy the enemy, so how many do you send at one and how many at another?
I hate the way in games like Civ I can put 10 units next to a city, attack the city till its destroyed, then send the ones that weren''t needed towards the next target. When really it should all happen at once and I shouldn''t know EXACTLY how much its going to take to win each battle.
Units would have to have a fairly complicated order system In this type off game, such as agressive levels/retreat levels etc.
I plan on making this a Applet game with a fairly basic gfx system.. more off a proof off concept to a set off game rules.
Perhaps Ill find an artist etc one day.. but at the moment I''m more interested in developing a complex turn based stratergy game which is based on a more complicated strategic system.

Advertisement
My favorite style of game! I especially love the Langrisser series... only the first one was released in the US, as Warsong for the Genesis.

I am now working on an amateur game in this style, with the intention of releasing it as freeware in 6-9 months.
The biggest problems I find in the genre is that it''s a little stiff. Which of course is kind of expected given it''s, turn, command, turn, structure.

Hopefully the systems I''m designing will give the entire game a more free flowing feel.

It''s coming along nicely, I just need to get my coder to get crackin :D

I''m about 70% with the systems, I just need to put some hard numbers to it. Then I''ll be in a position to flesh out the world (the fun part) with characters, story, etc...

It''s still going to be turn based at it''s core, but it''ll be using a "active time" system, similar to Square''s ATB system, but with enough differences to make it unique.

It also has elements of the RAP system in Hoshigami, without the horrible flaws that make that game almost unplayable (attacking 3 times in one turn being one of them).

I''ve always thought of a system like the RAP system being good, but they did theirs differently than what I had planned.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement