Turn Based Tactical Strategy

Started by
31 comments, last by Bandecko 22 years ago
How many people play these kinds of games. Final Fantasy Tactics is my all time favorite game. This type of game, however, isn''t exactly common.
Advertisement
Yes!

I love turn based strategy games, and I wish there were more.

X-COM : UFO Defense
X-COM : Terror from the deep
X-COM : Apocalypse
Nintendo''s "Wars" Series (newer is Advance Wars for GBA)
I remember playing a game on the Game Gear a long time ago, Shinning Forces I think.
Gem Fire (SNES)
Fire Emblem (SNES)
Jagged Alliance
"something" Incubator
I play them. And they are easier to make. No collision detection, no real-time AI, etc. So while they may be less popular, development is less costly, or should be in most cases.
Yes, Shining Force is an excellent turn based strategy game. You can download a genesis/megadrive emulator and a Shining Force or Shining Force II ROM and your away. Not that I''m suggesting you do this unless you own the original of course.
I still play the game now.

''Your theory of a donut shaped universe is intriguing Homer'' - Stephen Hawking
On the SNES and PS1 there''s also Tactics Ogre, a much more satisfying game than FFT.

-scott
Yep FFT, Tactics Ogre, and Shinning Force are the three best examples of the genre...

Oh wait, then there''s the X-COM series... they were pretty damned good too.
Tactis Ogre is awesome. Too bad i play it on a snes emulator. It''s in japanese
Have any of you played Avernum from SpiderwebSoftware? Its a turn based rpg and when you fight you control each of your party individually on the game map(its not like a console rpg where, you know, the camera cuts out to some stupid fight scene: this is the one thing I hate most about console rpgs.); its like a squad based small unit turn-based fantasy combat system that is really fun if your into that kind of thing. You can have you fighters block dungeon hallways and doorways while your magic users rain death from protected positions. Its cool because if you use good tactics then you can beat enemy parties that are way tougher than you.

quote:
Gem Fire (SNES)

Gem Fire was badass. That bastard Eselred really burned me up, he had half the map and a wizard AND the red dragon.

------------
- outRider -
Don''t forget fallout tactics. Though the turn based part was a little bit screwy...

I would pay big money for a multiplayer x-com (not the silly x-com by email game). I mean a really campaign game like the original x-com -- you know one player plays aliens other x-com and the aliens try to subvert the govts of the world while x-com tries to get the aliens on their home planet.
Alexander "DmGoober" Jhinalexjh@online.microsoft.com[Warning! This email account is not attended. All comments are the opinions of an individual employee and are not representative of Microsoft Corporation.]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement