Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ivyn

What culling algorithm(s) should I use for a game like this?

I''ve done some reading on the kinds of culling algorithms out there, but I still don''t understand it all well enough to know all the things I need to do. This is the kind of game I''m aiming for so maybe that will help. A 3rd person action game set in my own world setting, there will be some fighting action, but it will also be flight simulator in some regards because flying machines will be the form of transport from land to land. Kinda original I suppose. I want to have decently sized towns with lots of people to interact with and vast woodlands to explore. When traversing in the towns you''ll be able to walk indoors(a regular sized shop probably won''t load a new map I''d suppose). There''ll be caves to venture through if players crave that kind of adventure. Then there''s also the flying machines that add flight simulator depth into the game. What culling systems should I integrate into this kind of game. I heard that BSP trees and portals are suited best only to indoor Quake type shoot-em ups and Octrees don''t do well indoors. This game I''m making is both Quake(dungeons), Huge outdoor levels, and flight simulator in one. What culling system(s) should I use where and why? Thanks a bundle! -- Tis Me! --

My recommendation, is to use a hybrid system. I don''t like/understand BSP, so I''d say use portals. Actually since you also have people and planes I think you sjould have 3 systems a bit like this:
1)A standard terrain clipping thing - break the map into bits and check which bits are visible to bother rendering. (or a better terrain algo if you know one)
2)A standard entity checking syatem where you see which entities (people/planes etc) are in view using bounding boxes/spheres against the viewing frustum.
3)If you have an entrance to a cave/house, store the polygons forming entrances as special portal polygons. When you find you have one of thes to redner, you treat it as a window to look through. Inside buildings you can have more portals for doorways etc.

I''ll not talk about any type in detail, but that''s a grand overview of what I''d do.
Oh and you might want to treat buildings in the entity algo not the terrain

My cursery thought would be to have a terrain engine that reders the buildings as terrain feature and then have clearly defined doors into indoor environments where the rendering switches to indoors. u could then have vectors to the doors when you walking and check those vectors to see if they are viewable.

I would suggest you not build your own engine but rather find one that gives a free license. This is because you seem more interested in game play and plot than in graphics theory and would have more fun programming the game. Anyway, thats just me.

He who said money was the root of all evil knew little of the nature of money and less about the nature of man.