2 questions about video games or consoles

Started by
4 comments, last by ch_ravi 22 years ago
hi, i want to know answers to the following 2 questions as quickly as possible. i will be of very thankful to anyone who helps me in this matter. Q1: How would you approach optimizing a large application such as a video game? Q2: Unlike most modern OS’s, console video game systems have no virtual memory. Describe some memory-saving techniques for fitting a large video game into a fixed amount of memory. Thank You Ravi
Advertisement
Q1: How would you approach optimizing a large application such as a video game?

It''d start with the design of the game: recognize where most of the CPU effort is going to take place. Optimize there.

Q2: Unlike most modern OS’s, console video game systems have no virtual memory. Describe some memory-saving techniques for fitting a large video game into a fixed amount of memory.

Is this our assignment for today? Will we be graded on a bell curve? Use google and search for memory manager virtual memory optimizations memory usage use and release. There are also some good articles on Gamasutra

ZoomBoy
Developing a iso-tile 2D RPG with skills, weapons, and adventure. See my old Hex-Tile RPG GAME, character editor, diary, 3D Art resources at Check out my web-site

Some advantages to a console vs. a PC in the memory arena:

* Running in Ring0 = low OS memory overhead and no legacy, realize that Windows takes up most of the memory.
* Few drivers, and the only ones loaded are ones that apply to what you are doing.
"Who are you, and how did you get in here?""I''m the locksmith, and I''m the locksmith."
Optimization can take place by speeding up code where possible, but the design of the data structures and algorithms that perform data-intensive parsing are important to examine, too.

Quicksort? Insertion sort?
BSP?

- Waverider
A healthy humility and more realistic approach towards what you know comes from realizing what other people know, too.
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.
Some disadvantages of console memory (since someone listed advantages):

- No virtual memory. If you run out of memory, the malloc fails. The beauty of modern PC OS''s is that if you happen to hit the physical memory limit your application can be oblivious -- but it will take a performance hit -- but it will keep running (and hopefully recover eventually).

- No unified memory architecture (at least not on the PS2 or Gamecube), which means it''s like the old days of graphics programming where *you* have to make sure data is in the video memory.

But, one great thing is that you know exactly how much memory you have to play with. So, you can institute some very smooth memory optimizations with memory pools and such (which would be useful on the PC as well).
Lol, someone''s applying to EA and got the test they send out.

Personally I think that if you apply for a game programming job you should know the answer to those questions yourself.

My two cents

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement