please help.. info needed..

Started by
7 comments, last by krad7 22 years ago
hi, I am looking for some good books or website links (this is prefarable cos its faster) regarding the following stuff.. 1. RTS gaming (how it is designed and programmed and stuff like that).. 2. 3d engine. (how to build one from scratch for a RTS game). 3. special effects (like fire, smoke, ligting, water, transperency in water etc) i am not working for any game developing company. game development is a just a my hobby(i am a hardcore game programmer). i like to develop games and distribute it to my friends and play with them. now i am planning on building a huge rts game.. i have some pretty cool idea's in my mind that no rts game has ever implemented. totally new, so i want to make it a good one. so please someone help me out. Thanks in advance. Slow and steady wins the race. Edited by - krad7 on March 21, 2002 2:40:46 AM
Slow and steady wins the race.
Advertisement
I plannin to use directx8.1 for progamming the above stuff...

There is a real good book on RTS for DX 6.0, called Real Time Stragety Game Programming written by Mickey Kawick.
Although this does DX6, it is a good place to learn the concepts of RTS games. Some of the code is Archaic(the first few chapters) but that might be a place to start. It is an escellent bed of knowledge for Animations, ideas, tiles, AI, Path finding as well as a lot of other useful info.

There is also a book by Andre Lamothe called Advanced 3d Game Programming with DirectX8 (Perez), that is very very good.

for the special effects try this one

Special Effects Game Programming with DirectX8 (Lamothe).
thanks for the info.. Are there any websites with tutorials on the same?

You will also need a scripting engine for you RTS game.

I recommend a good tut on such a thing at www.peroxide.dx

There is also some tuts on 3d engine design, collision detection etc there.

Good luck to you
king1297@yahoo.com

-Matt
Also a great form at www.mrgamemaker.com

Check this out, it is great!
thanks a lot guys.. i know i''ll have a lot of Q''s once i start the programmin.. so i''ll bother you then ..

www.peroxide.dx --> site not found

http://www.premierpressbooks.com

Zen of Direct3D Game Programming

Programming Role Playing Games with DirectX

Real-Time Rendering Tricks and Techniques in DirectX

Multiplayer Game Programming

There are alot of others as well. The books use DirectX8. I was new to the world of 3d programming and the Zen of Direct3d got me up to speed. The first half of the book takes you step by step getting a Win32 program up and running with Direct 8 ready. So if you have even made a win32 program you are ahead of the game and these books are great.

P.S.
I am a student programmer and I am looking for an artist to help with 3d models. If you can be of any help or want to help program send me some e-mail at dean@jandrew.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement