Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skybox?

This topic is 5749 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I want to make a homeworld/parsec type background for my game. I find that it doesnt look nearly as nice as homeworld/parsec if i just use a strait skybox or sphere. I came up with a list of idea''s for what I could implement and its flaws. Strait Skybox - Textures near the corners look warped.. single pixels flash(starts etc) flash in and out. Strait Sphere - gets really warped looking at the top and bottom. Box/Sphere Background w/ stars/planets drawn seperately - kinda slow if i have a lot of stars and other stuff. Scrolling Background - only takes 2 triangles but the screensize f''s up the image quality and even textures are annoying. So what should I do? I want the background to have the awe of homeworld and the definition of parsec.

There was an article on gamasutra a while ago about this problem. The solution that was offered used a standard box but used a 3d modelling package to warp the textures before you applied them to the box. This effectively eliminates the warped look. The link to the article is http://www.gamasutra.com/features/visual_arts/19981023/skybox_01.htm

Good Luck

-Daedalus

Thanks for the gamasutra link, that made for a very nice read.
And the SkyPaint prog is JUST what I was looking for :D

Ciao, Hightree

Reality, is that where the pizza delivery guy comes from ?