Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Useful

Skybox?

I want to make a homeworld/parsec type background for my game. I find that it doesnt look nearly as nice as homeworld/parsec if i just use a strait skybox or sphere. I came up with a list of idea''s for what I could implement and its flaws. Strait Skybox - Textures near the corners look warped.. single pixels flash(starts etc) flash in and out. Strait Sphere - gets really warped looking at the top and bottom. Box/Sphere Background w/ stars/planets drawn seperately - kinda slow if i have a lot of stars and other stuff. Scrolling Background - only takes 2 triangles but the screensize f''s up the image quality and even textures are annoying. So what should I do? I want the background to have the awe of homeworld and the definition of parsec.

There was an article on gamasutra a while ago about this problem. The solution that was offered used a standard box but used a 3d modelling package to warp the textures before you applied them to the box. This effectively eliminates the warped look. The link to the article is http://www.gamasutra.com/features/visual_arts/19981023/skybox_01.htm

Good Luck

-Daedalus

Thanks for the gamasutra link, that made for a very nice read.
And the SkyPaint prog is JUST what I was looking for :D

Ciao, Hightree

Reality, is that where the pizza delivery guy comes from ?