Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nexe tutorial 2 not compliling

This topic is 5746 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi Guys I am just trying to get Nexe tutorial 2 to work: http://nexe.gamedev.net/tutorials/ViewTutorial.asp?tutorialfile=Pages/Tutorial2.myxml but it won''t complile, I get the following error: window.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _Direct3DCreate8@4 Debug/directx_window.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved externals Error executing link.exe. I have downloaded the code and it compiles fine, I have also copied my copy of the code to the directory where the downloaded code is and compiled it and again it works fine. I can’t see any other files in the downloaded directory that I don’t have and I can’t see any other files listed in the downloaded project that I don’t have so why isn’t it working? Hope you can help Giles

Thats a linker error - not a compiler error.

You need to make sure you link with the DirectX libs.

i.e. in your project settings, add d3d8.lib into the right box and your away....

Oh, I see. It works now. So whenever I do a directx project I have to do this and in the next tutorial when I add more libraries I have to add them too? I thiught that as d3d8.h was listed under the files/external dependancies it would be ok.

THanks for the help.

Giles