fading scenes and logo starting

Started by
9 comments, last by ironhell3 22 years ago
Hi i am a beginner openGL programmer.I am using using nehe''s basecode and i have the following questions: 1) I want to fade one scene to other...Not just a texture to other..I do it with blending? can you help? 2) i load some textures in the beginning of my game and the application takes some time to load.Is there a way to present a .bmp logo to the screen WHILE the scene loads, and thene dissapear the logo and start thw windowed app? The thing is that the .bmp must appear outside of a window.( just like the way Unreal Tournament starts) Thanks a lot for your time!
Advertisement
1.) no real idea,
2.) create a window withe the fullscreen flags(but don''t change the resolution) , load a picture and draw it an the window.

Maybe this link contains stuff which might be of interest to you

http://romka.demonews.com/opengl/demos/other_eng.htm

it has menu systems and a flashing front menu sample code on it

Regards
- Pete
Hi.I dont want a menu to use from inside the game ( i know to do that)I want a bmp screen to appear OUTSIDE the game window( Have you played Unreal Tournament?)
About the fading scenes i believe i should use the glClearScreen but i dont know hot to change it dynamically.I could use the blending way but i am not sure how exactly i should do that
Thanks a lot!

quote:Original post by ironhell3
Hi.I dont want a menu to use from inside the game ( i know to do that)I want a bmp screen to appear OUTSIDE the game window( Have you played Unreal Tournament?)

It''s not outside the window. It''s inside a different window.
What about, rendering all the stuff in perspective, then switch to glOrtho, and draw a Black quad on the screen (the size of the screen so it covers all the screen), then adjust the alpha to the quad slowly so it fades out, when it becomes completelly transparent you just stop rendering the quad, simple.

I''ve done a number of things to cause screenfade. The best technique for me is, when all 3d drawing is done, and I am in my 2d ortho mode (for text/gui..., all my apps have a 3d pass, then a 2d pass in every frame), is to render/alphablend a fullscreen black/etc quad and vary the alpha over time.

In my current framework, I can setup 4 types of dimming on the fly w/ 1 command:
1. no fade to full fade, shape "/" used mostly for app end fade
2. full fade to no fade, shape" \" used mostly for app start fade
3. no fade to full fade to no fade, shape "A" used mostly for interscene fades
4. full fade to no fade to full fade, shape "V" never used it but could for a peek at some image

The dim can be in any color and to any ultimate opacity value (though usually 1), over any amount of time:

screen.set_dim(type,seconds, r,g,b,a); which just sets up some vars.

My display func calls screen.do_dim() when in 2d ortho, which checks the vars and does the appropriate thing if needed.

zin

zintel.com - 3d graphics & more or less
zintel.com - 3d graphics & more or less
i don''t remember how was the UT pic thingy but it was probably just an image ressource u include in ur MFC app.
2) Are you talking of a splash screen?
Yes something like that.....

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement