Idea's

Started by
4 comments, last by shaddowofadream 22 years ago
I have recently been attracted to the creative world of game design and production, from reading the developer diarys for the game Republic : the revolution, my interest has simply grown... I have many ideas for games however I do not know where to go from the idea stage, I realise that the next logical step would be to write up a complete a description of the game(s), and then get people to edit and point me in the right direction.... however after this I am a bit confused, Im sort of paranoid at this stage and dont even want to share my ideas from fear of stolen intellectual property (seen any Dune clones lately ...) so any help is apreciated "... We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far." - H.P. Lovecraft The Call to Cthulu
"... We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far." - H.P. Lovecraft The Call to Cthulu
Advertisement
On the stupidity of "idea paranoia". Don''t make the same mistake.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Google! ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!
How to be a Game Designer in 5 Easy Steps:

1. Have a good idea
2. Flesh out idea to create a design document
3. Turn Design Document into actual game
4. Sell game and make lots of money
5. Go to step 1.
perhaps I worded it incorrectly I didnt expect it to be taken so harshly ...
my sincere appologies

"... We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far." - H.P. Lovecraft The Call to Cthulu
quote:Original post by shaddowofadream
perhaps I worded it incorrectly I didnt expect it to be taken so harshly ...

It wasn''t. It''s just that saying you''re afraid of your ideas being stolen on a site that is virtually littered with innovations is quite silly, and an insult to the integrity of the others who freely share their ideas.

quote:my sincere appologies

No problem.

So let''s hear your ideas.
Upon using the search function for the forums I found 1 particulary similar idea,

The basic idea is an easy concept to grasp... however the gnitty gritty of the game is where it gets rather interesting ...

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=36037

A persistent massively multiplayer RTS, is the basic idea...

- 4 or more ''factions'' are battling out in space/planet

- an extra ''faction'' which is server controlled keeps the factions equal in power

- an In game politics system is in play, people start as peons and slowly work their way to being leaders of the faction. Some sort of points system would determine this,

- the factions may ally and or trade and or be at war with each other at any one point of time,

- the technologies and perhaps UI of each faction would be disctinctly unique and at the same time easy to understand.
---------------------------------------------------------

Main problem with Massively multiplayer online games these days is content and keeping the players interested enough to keep playing... thats where the "job board" would come into play...

the leaders of any faction , or moderators of the game, can set jobs with perhaps honour or points resulting in the completion of these jobs, eg map out area x,y take out any hostile ships blah blah... Honour for job = "ZZZ" ...

After a while people will advance so far up the political scale that they get points from the moderators of the game for keeping everything running smoothly, eg making sure newbies to the factions are helped and that the game remains balanced...

there are many more little things that pop into my head however this is just a basic outline... what do yah think

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement