Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Of Assembler and Hacking

This topic is 5743 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

The time has come for us to bask in the warm light of Hacking, and so gather round the fire of Assembler, and let us speak of many things, of Assembler, cabbages, hacking and kings. Ok, joking aside, I want to start beginner''s hacking. I know the fundamentals of C, but I have been told that Assembler is the way to go. But I have a few questions. 1.) Is Assembler hard to learn? 2.) Will I need knowledge of any other language to beginners hack? 3.) HOW DO I GET SOME BEGINNERS MADE-TO-BE-HACKED PROGRAMS. You know what I mean. Programs MADE by hackers to be hacked by beginners. Ok cheers TheMoriaHobbit Drink the Dwarven Ale!

If i read your post correctly then what you want to know is how to reverse engineer applications and games. The only reason I can think why someone would want to do that is to remove copy protection. If i am right in assuming your motives you should probably delete this thread before your reputation here drops like a stone.

If you didn''t already know, software pirates and crackers are not welcome here.

quote:
Original post by TheMoriaHobbit
I have been told that Assembler is the way to go.

Depends very much on what you want to do. Usually assembly is not ''needed''.
quote:

1.) Is Assembler hard to learn?

No, not really. Assembly language in it self is often quite easy to learn (of course it might depend on what processor you''re using), though it isn''t always so easy to use correctly (it''s one of those ''easy to learn, hard to master'' deals).
quote:

2.) Will I need knowledge of any other language to beginners hack?

You won''t need it, though it might help.
quote:

3.) HOW DO I GET SOME BEGINNERS MADE-TO-BE-HACKED PROGRAMS. You know what I mean. Programs MADE by hackers to be hacked by beginners.

Not sure... Search the web. You should state what kind of processor you''re using.

If you''re using an intel processor I highly recommend downloading the processor manuals from developer.intel.com (if you''re using AMD, then they have similar manuals. Other processor manufacturers most likely do too, so in general: search the homepage of the processor manufacturer).

The above is all IMHO.

BTW, Spiral: hack != crack

quote:
Original post by Spiral
The only reason I can think why someone would want to do that is to remove copy protection.

They also might be interested in learning the intimite inner workings of computer hardware and software. Or, they may want to know more about it in order to prevent it (if the good guys didn''t know about hacking/cracking, we''d all be screwed). I''m interested in cracking, hacking and viruses. However, I would never use them illegally.

What TheMoriaHobbit''s intentions are is still up in the air IMHO.

LOL!

No no, Spiral, I don''t want to learn reverse engineering to crack protected games, servers, etc. What I plan on doing is to learn a bit of Assembly, then I will delve into the dark seedy underbelly of hacking... okay, back to the issue in hand. I learn Assembly, then I ONLY hack Made-to-Be-Hacked-Tutorial-Programs, which I asked for in the FIRST place. I want to find out how the barebone structure of the programs work. I want to find out how the software and hardware melds. But you are easily forgiven because it was an easy mistake to make. *hey, that rhymes.... cool!* And I also want to find out more about this so I can make my apps/games harder/impossible to crack/hack.

Thrump: Spot on mate, cheers!

If anyone has some useful imput, I''d be glad of it. I have read a tutorial online, and it says Assembly is the way to go..

Now wheres that Assembly book...?

TheMoriaHobbit

Drink the Dwarven Ale!

quote:
I have read a tutorial online, and it says Assembly is the way to go..

Probably written by that troll on here from a few weeks back, no doubt.

Assembly is easy to learn, but it can be hard to work out how to get it to do what you want. All I can suggest is that you just look for assembly (or ASM for short) tutorials on Google. Oh, and try to get hold of a good reference, as you''ll need it.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost ]

Sorry, as much as I like hacking I don''t think this forum is the place to ask

There are a lot of good crack tutorials, especially made by R!SC. Games are usuallt pretty easy, but my first hack was a VERY poorly written time trial

there are programs called CRACKMEs, but they are usually pretty advanced, like with packers

W32DASM is the standard dissasembler. ASM isnt that hard, aslong as you feel you are pretty good at programming. jumps/calls and the basic register/memory function are really easy to pick up

I don''t do anything destructive, but if a program does something I don''t like, I WILL change it, you can''t stop me

quote:
Original post by Spiral
The only reason I can think why someone would want to do that is to remove copy protection.

I used my extensive x86 assembly knowledge to debug kernel and highly optimized code for Halo. So it''s not just for cracking software.

MSN

If you don''t know a lot about programming, you said you knew a little C, then you are NOWHERE near anything. Believe me, programming is a long learning process involving books, articles, and trial n'' error. Don''t get ahead of yourself like I did, trust me |:^)
Start off small, try to get a bitmap on a background first.

quote:
I want to find out how the barebone structure of the programs work. I want to find out how the software and hardware melds.

Assembly language will help with this task, but it''s not _absolutely_ necessary. You also don''t have to be a cracker to want to know the answer to these questions. If you''re running Windows, there are two articles in the March 2002 edition of MSDN Magazine that you''ll want to take a look at. One pertains to how the OS loads an executable, the other pertains to how an executable file is structured. If you find your appetite hasn''t been satisfied after reading both of those articles, google search for the book "Undocumented Windows NT" - if you make it that far and can''t figure out where to go next... well, you probably should consider another hobby

Ahh. Well, i mis-read your post obviously, and i apologise.

quote:
Original post by msn12b
I used my extensive x86 assembly knowledge to debug kernel and highly optimized code for Halo. So it's not just for cracking software.

I didn't say ASM was just for hax0ring and cracking software. Its just that moriahobbit implied this in his post that thats what he wants to do, so i responded. I said the only reason i can think of why someone would want to learn how to reverse engineer others' programs would be to remove copy protection.

Additionally, if you want to find out about "program structure" etc, you can download the windows .EXE file format from wotsit.org. I think they have .COM too, you may wish to look at that also. To write good ASM you need a good intimiate understanding of how the CPU works and interfaces with the rest of your computer - get some books from your local library on x86 architecture.

[edited by - Spiral on March 22, 2002 5:53:51 AM]

The program that tolkeinizes ASM is an assembler?

Apologizes, but as a Discordian, I''ve sworn not to pass up a pun, good or bad.

We''''re sorry, but you don''''t have the clearance to read this post. Please exit your browser at this time. (Code 23)