Of Assembler and Hacking

Started by
15 comments, last by TheMoriaHobbit 22 years, 1 month ago
Sorry, as much as I like hacking I don''t think this forum is the place to ask

There are a lot of good crack tutorials, especially made by R!SC. Games are usuallt pretty easy, but my first hack was a VERY poorly written time trial

there are programs called CRACKMEs, but they are usually pretty advanced, like with packers

W32DASM is the standard dissasembler. ASM isnt that hard, aslong as you feel you are pretty good at programming. jumps/calls and the basic register/memory function are really easy to pick up

I don''t do anything destructive, but if a program does something I don''t like, I WILL change it, you can''t stop me
Advertisement
I thought this was a Game Programming message board! Why are you asking for hacker stuff here?
quote:Original post by Spiral
The only reason I can think why someone would want to do that is to remove copy protection.

I used my extensive x86 assembly knowledge to debug kernel and highly optimized code for Halo. So it''s not just for cracking software.

MSN
If you don''t know a lot about programming, you said you knew a little C, then you are NOWHERE near anything. Believe me, programming is a long learning process involving books, articles, and trial n'' error. Don''t get ahead of yourself like I did, trust me |:^)
Start off small, try to get a bitmap on a background first.
"It's easy to make things hard, but it's hard to make things easy."
quote:Original post by TheMoriaHobbit
I want to find out how the barebone structure of the programs work. I want to find out how the software and hardware melds.

Assembly language will help with this task, but it''s not _absolutely_ necessary. You also don''t have to be a cracker to want to know the answer to these questions. If you''re running Windows, there are two articles in the March 2002 edition of MSDN Magazine that you''ll want to take a look at. One pertains to how the OS loads an executable, the other pertains to how an executable file is structured. If you find your appetite hasn''t been satisfied after reading both of those articles, google search for the book "Undocumented Windows NT" - if you make it that far and can''t figure out where to go next... well, you probably should consider another hobby

"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Ahh. Well, i mis-read your post obviously, and i apologise.

quote:Original post by msn12b
I used my extensive x86 assembly knowledge to debug kernel and highly optimized code for Halo. So it's not just for cracking software.

I didn't say ASM was just for hax0ring and cracking software. Its just that moriahobbit implied this in his post that thats what he wants to do, so i responded. I said the only reason i can think of why someone would want to learn how to reverse engineer others' programs would be to remove copy protection.

Additionally, if you want to find out about "program structure" etc, you can download the windows .EXE file format from wotsit.org. I think they have .COM too, you may wish to look at that also. To write good ASM you need a good intimiate understanding of how the CPU works and interfaces with the rest of your computer - get some books from your local library on x86 architecture.

[edited by - Spiral on March 22, 2002 5:53:51 AM]
--------------------Go Stick Your Head In A Pig
The program that tolkeinizes ASM is an assembler?

Apologizes, but as a Discordian, I''ve sworn not to pass up a pun, good or bad.

We''''re sorry, but you don''''t have the clearance to read this post. Please exit your browser at this time. (Code 23)
We''re sorry, but you don''t have the clearance to read this post. Please exit your browser at this time. (Code 23)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement