Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Phobeus

gluLookAt swaps axis?

Hi guys, okay, maybe another stupid question. I really have some strange things when using gluLookAt. I think that the x-axis is somekind of swapped... means the positive axis moves along to the left... and the negative towards the right... okay please have a look at the following source (note its Delphi!) glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT OR GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT); glLoadIdentity; //gluLookAt(0,0,-6,0,0,0,0,1,0); //glTranslate(-1.5,0,0); glTranslate(-1.5,0,-6); glRotate(timegettime/10,0,1,0); [rendering object] note that i comment two lines. When I run the program with this settings using translate only, the object is on the left side, just as i expect when saying "move along x axis -1.5". When I am using the commented lines instead, saying the cam should be at 0/0/-6 and then moves the object -1,5 it''s suddenly at the right side! I am not sure if this really is thought like that, but I have no idea where the error is. I have a feeling like OpenGL is not using two matricen for view and world... but... I could I fix this? thx, Phobeus

If you move left, isn''t it supposed to look like everything else is moving right?

If not, change the -6 to 6 and look at it from the other side. Then it will look right, or is that cheating?

That''s a strange behavior, when using D3D before. There you habe a view matrix and no world translation are effected on that. In OpenGL all translatation also use the view matrix, or better said there''s nothing like that...

so in fact I need to reset the cameraview after every translation again? Let me say i want to put something at -1/0/0 and 1/0/0... so I have to set the viewmatrix to 0/0/-5 (for example) translate the first object to -1. Then reset the viewmatrix to 0/0/-5 again and then translate the second to 1? Of course I also could use 2 from the first position, but that must end up in some really weird, source won''t it?

Ceya,
Phobeus

Sorry, guys, me again. I think that this system is totally weird :-/

Okay... have used gluLookAt for positioning the cam at 0,10,-2 and looking at 0/0/0. So a light 3D view from the top. Now I am translating some objects in the positive x and z area. With success... when I am using glTranslate(-1,0,0); so i am moving this objects to the left.. so it shall looks like they moving right.... right?

But what shall I expect, when I am setting the view cam at 5,10,-2 looking at 5,0,0 ? I would expect that the objects would be more to the left side because I moving the camera to a position more left. But the objects are moving towards the right sight...

I really thought that the params at gluLookAt would be a Position, not translation values? I really think that this is really strange... Can someone try to explain ?

thx,
Phobeus