Unit Creation Modeled as Population Growth

Started by
33 comments, last by Heaven 22 years ago
IMO large technological advances like medicine or equality of sexes dont fit into tolkiensque fantasy worlds, which are typically quite static. Leave research to futuristic RTS games.

>Actually, disease was one of the biggest factors.

My sources seem to disagree, but Id love to read more about this, got any links? Anyway during medieval times you cant do much about disease, so food remains the most important variable factor.

Heaven, a great source on medieval economy (~1000AD England to be exact) is Regia Anglorums Wichamstow-village. It contains loads of information about different crafts and production of weapons, tools and other items.

[edited by - Ecthelion on March 28, 2002 5:18:10 PM]
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Heaven
As far as the details are concerned, you seem contrary. You say that you want a game that lets you play at your level, but then you''ve pointed out that having as much detail as I''ve planned will be detrimental to gameplay. If the details aren''t forced on you (and I think I''ve explained that they will not be), then how would that be bad?

I think the opposing objectives (not methods) will be the problem. Most games today like to present you with "alternate paths", but the objectives remain identical - or at least very similar. With your game, one side plays with the objective of building while the other plays with the objective of tearing down. Balancing these will be interesting.

When I speak of "my level of detail", I mean being able to play as Secretary of Defense, Field Commander, Brigadier, Colonel or Captain - from national defense coordination to local skirmish leader, and to be able to rise through the ranks. In line with an old thread on delegation, you might even be able to "zoom in" from your high-level strategic position to take control of the point man in a critical manouver, yet continue to receive high-level tactical feedback - a sort of unfair advantage, but which you must use effectively.

Your ideas are very interesting, though - don''t get me wrong. It''s just not really my thing. Keep them coming, however; they''re worth listening to.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Google! | Asking Smart Questions ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!
quote:Anyway during medieval times you cant do much about disease, so food remains the most important variable factor.

Medieval problems were a result of the loss of knowledge. This is a problem that many people seem to forget about that. While the Greek/Roman societies did not fully understand the human body as we do today, but they well understood cause/effect. The Holy Roman church basically got rid of any societal activities that they viewed as ''unholy'' (such as the bathhouses), regardless of the the actual purpose they served. They then declared that basically they were the source of all knowledge. Effect? People got sick more often, diseases flourished and it didn''t get any better until when? Until Luther and the other priests broke off from the holy church and went their own ways, thus diminishing the church''s sway over the sciences. The medieval plagues were pretty much limited to the European continent. The other continents were relatively unscathed by these epidemics. As a matter of fact, outside of Europe, there really were no ''dark ages''.

Now that doesn''t mean that disease wasn''t prevalent still, just that it was rediculously so for the Europeans.

However, my point wasn''t that epidemics were the problem, disease was. When you got sick with anything vaguely serious, 75% chance that was it, you were dead.

quote:My sources seem to disagree, but Id love to read more about this, got any links?

I really wish I could link you to my college courses, from Religion and It''s Impact on Society to the general history courses. I''ll see if I can''t hunt down some stuff for you though.

It''s really suprising how different everything was in the rest of the world from 500CE -> ~1400CE. The Romans took quantum leaps ahead of everyone from 200BCE to 500CE and basically all that fell apart and everyone else spent the next 500-800 years catching back up. Many of the world''s societies never did. The Chinese were really the society that forged ahead of Europe for a time, but by then the holy church was in decline and science was again taking hold (Renaissance).
quote:Original post by solinear
That implies that a family can only raise one child at a time. We all know that more often a family will continue to have children around 1.5-3 years apart.
Man, what was I thinking? I completely forgot about that fact, and instead was absentmindedly focused on the initial 11 minute hump. After the hump, you''re right, successive kids from the initial family pair will mature every 40 seconds (40 week gestation). However, the firstborn pair from this initial family will not produce adult peons until 11 minutes after their maturation. So if we extrapolated until THEIR first child (base time+11 minutes to get initial family''s first child+40 seconds to get second child+40 seconds to get this second pair''s first child+11 minutes for this child to mature) we come up with 23 minutes 20 seconds. During this time, but after the first 11 minute hump the initial family would have [theoretically] produced 12 m 20 s divided by 40 s mature peons. This is because after they had their first child, they kept having another newborn every 40 seconds. 12 m 20 s = 19 mature peons from the first family by the time their firstborn pair has their firstborn child. And if my math is wrong, excuse me. It''s 1:03 AM. I''ll end up making charts later, of course. (don''t worry, not to post!) Perhaps a program to plot it out.

But yeah, population should rise a lot faster than I initially thought. Good!

quote:No, what I meant is that as females gain more knowledge, they start to focus on other goals than having a family. They wait longer before marrying and have fewer children when they do.
Bah! A woman''s place is in the home.

quote:If you want, you could put in an advancement called ''feminine resurgence'' that would lower population expansion but increase the productivity of the actual population, representing the increased contribution by females.
Egads man! Rather, I''ll include an advancement called Feminine Subjugation, which will increase the populaiton expansion while increasing overall productivity by the simple addition of more manpower! Mu hah hah. Note: tongue in cheek here peoples.

quote:How upset are you going to be when you just started the game and after pushing out one puppy your *only* female dies? Factor out stillbirths and the mother dying during childbirth unless you want to start with a larger population.
What about alternatives? If your only peon''s wife dies, there could be neutral parties with female peons he could then marry. Heck, you could try and steal you a wife from said neutral party. In allied games your ally could send you a wife. Heh heh.

You''re correct though. I might want to implement some kind of transparent check that makes sure the birthing mom isn''t the last of her race.

Thanks!
Florida, USA
Current Project
Jesus is LORD!
quote:I''ll include an advancement called Feminine Subjugation

Wouldn''t that basically be the default setting?

Of course, that might not be a half bad option. Some players could choose to have an initial setting of female dominant society (much like the majority of Mesopotamian and Celtic cultures had in earlier prehistoric societies). They would advance faster initially, but have low birth rates, then when the female subjugation kicks in, they get a higher birth rate and the people that are born will benefit from those advances. I''m starting to think of this as a societal study more than a game, but that''s because I''m not playing, I''m advising.

quote:What about alternatives?

Too slow. In any game like this, you can pretty much kiss your butt good-bye if you end up with not enough population growth, particularly early on.

I think that the best solution might be to implement a % still birth, 20 second delay between pregnancies, increasing % of mother death during birthing, starting at 4% and increasing by half for every pregnancy up to a maximum of 50% (4, 6, 9, 14, 21, 31, 46, 50, 50). Also start with an initial population of 4 adult pairs. This way you can get it all in without completely screwing someone for a chance maternal death early on. It will also avoid the huge population eplosion that can be caused by a complete lack of mitigating factors. While increasing population will increase your int base and bring about schools, libraries and such to develop medicine, you can counter that by having diseases become more devastating mattering on population density of an area.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement