Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hagen

Vector C?

Hi, can anyone explain me... What exactly is vector C? or What the "vector programming" term means? what is the difference in the object code generation between a vector C and a regular C compiler? /\ /__\ C.Z. Hagen I want to play with MetallicA!

a.) Ever heard of Google?
b.) When you read a news item, there is always an associated link. In this case it was to codeplay''s site.
c.) I''ve never heard the term "vector programming"; where did you hear it? Perhaps you meant "vector unit programming"?

quote:
Result of a 1-minute Google search
The PlayStation2 vector coprocessor are SIMD floating point units. They perform multiply/accumulate operations on 4 single precision floats simultaneously with single cycle throughput. In parallel with the FMAC operations, the vector units perform single float divide, integer and logic operations.

I''m not trying to be rude, but learning how to look for information on your own is a critical skill. Develop it.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Google! ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!

Guest Anonymous Poster
Vector C is a compiler (made by codeplay, look at Oluseyi''s link).

A vectorizing compiler is one that can take advantage of SIMD instructions (SIMD = Single Instruction, Multiple Data, i.e. an instruction that operates on a vector of data).

MMX, SSE, SSE2, 3D Now! etc are SIMD instruction sets.

Vector C is well cool. I think you can pick up a version for about £40 ($60?) which will speed up your program by around 10% compared to the compiler you get with Visual C++, assuming you don''t usually code in assembler or take advantage of vector processing already.

-

Geocyte Has Committed Suicide.

Oluseyi:

I know what the PS2 vector units are. Second, I was expecting
a in-depth approach on what a vector C compiler does, and not what "Vector C from Codeplay" does.
Finally I look for more technical information day by day and in a few hours that I just can''t open dozen and dozen
of web pages looking for information (plus reading books, and datasheets) for all the things that I would
like to learn.
Now, a friend who is involved with parallel processing in hypergeometric arrangement asked to find some information
on "vector programming" as something related to ppha.

Anonymous Poster:
Thanks, that was more of the kind of info I was looking for.

/\
/__\ C.Z. Hagen
I want to play with MetallicA!

quote:
Original post by hagen
Oluseyi:

I know what the PS2 vector units are. Second, I was expecting
a in-depth approach on what a vector C compiler does, and not what "Vector C from Codeplay" does.
Finally I look for more technical information day by day and in a few hours that I just can''t open dozen and dozen
of web pages looking for information (plus reading books, and datasheets) for all the things that I would
like to learn.
Now, a friend who is involved with parallel processing in hypergeometric arrangement asked to find some information
on "vector programming" as something related to ppha.

And clicking on the manufacturer''s homepage - which link I provided - was too much effort? It took too long to go there and find a full description of compiler, platforms, SIMD and particular instruction sets employed (there''s even a summary paragraph)? The information the AP gave you is paltry by comparison, so please quit bullshitting.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Google! ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!

I would stop just because I have Higher things to do...

/\
/__\ C.Z. Hagen
I want to play with MetallicA!