SDL vs ClanLib vs CDX ?

Started by
5 comments, last by Tylon 22 years, 1 month ago
Im wondering which gamedev library do you use ? Are there any performance differences/issues between them? Has anyone developed larger scale games and came across any problems with any of these libraries ? Also, are there any other major gamedev libraries that I can consider ?
Advertisement
You forgot about Allegro, the best cross-platform library
You may want to try out Allegro:

(The official homepage, from which you can download it)
http://alleg.sourceforge.net

(The heart of the Allegro community)
http://www.allegro.cc

Allegro 4.0 is a cross-platform game development library that supports DOS, Win32 (DirectX), Linux (console, X11), BeOS and QNX (with MacOS support in development). It allows you to handle gfx, input, sound, timers, datafiles and many more things, all with extreme ease of use.
A lot of games/tools/addons have been written with/for the library, and you can find almost all of them on www.allegro.cc. For an example of large-scale projects using Allegro, take a look at MAME or Raine...
oh yeah, that was probably the first gamedev lib i used back in my djgpp days. although for my upcoming project cross-''platformability'' is not an issue.
Personally I''ve been using CDX for past ... uh.. I guess it''s been around 4 - 5 years. Man, has it been that long? wow. anyway, now that I feel old again... I''ve really enjoyed CDX, and being a maintainer on the project is a lot of fun too
I''ve touched on SDL because of it''s cross platform ability. But then it occurred to me, I really doubt I''m going to make a cross platform game. Havn''t tried clanlib, but heard good things on the boards... Tried Alegro, didn''t care for it. That was more of a matter of taste for me though. I''ve truely enjoyed CDX though. Like it''s structure (although it might be changing soon...) and it''s got a great support structure with the mailing lists. I''ve never completed a game to full completion. However, I have come close. I have one game that I never finished, but I liked. Feel free to check it out at http://www.geocities.com/greven0/

Always remember, you''''re unique. Just like everyone else.
Always remember, you''re unique. Just like everyone else.Greven
If you are at all interested, I am creating a 2D DX8 wrapper (GoldLib) that covers pretty much every aspect of 2D game programming - similar to CDX and has extra stuff including DDraw/D3D support, full parallax and tile automation, compressed game data files...
Its in its beta stage (currently available), the full version will be released in a week or two.

Downloads, Free GoldLib game library, D3DXSprite tutorial, New platform game: .-= The ZeroOne Realm =-.

Downloads, Free GoldLib game library, D3DXSprite tutorial, New platform game: .-= The ZeroOne Realm =-.

I use SDL, but have heard good things about Plib and Clanlib ,these 2 seems to have more bells and whistles than SDL.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement