3D beat-em-up project tech test - opinions please?

Started by
8 comments, last by mrbastard 22 years ago
Hi there, I'm part of a team working on a tekken style game engine in opengl/sdl. We've just put together our first file release and really want to know what people think. The game is called Unifighter. you can download it at http://sourceforge.net/projects/unifighter/ you can also check out our websire at http://unifighter.sourceforge.net The release is win32 only at the moment, but linux and mac versions are in the works. The source code is included in the package too, if anyones interested. Its mainly just a tech test at the moment, so I'd also really apreciate comments on performance on various machines. As I said all comments will be greatfully received about the site, the program or the code. EDIT: please read the readme.txt, its important! ;¬) Cheers, Dan Edited by - mrbastard on March 21, 2002 9:39:09 PM Edited by - mrbastard on March 24, 2002 12:05:13 PM Edited by - mrbastard on March 24, 2002 12:07:38 PM
[size="1"]
Advertisement
i''ve tested it on 2 systems

Crashed :
Voodoo2
winxp pro
k62-500MHz
512 bm RAM

worked fine :
ATI Radeon 4500
winxp pro
Athlon 1200MHz
512 bm RAM

nice menu

If you see this over someone''s head, then its me!The Railgun MasterDaHeR
____________________________________MSN | AIM | YIM | ICQ
Well, I had a list, but I viewed one of your XML scripts and accidentally closed the browser, so here''s a run-down of what I remember. Take it all constructively, and everything will be peachy.

Complaints:
*Input is bouncy, use keyhit time delays
*Had to hit ESC to start the fight
*The Start Fight button is broken
*Holding down ESC oscillates between the game and the menu
*Menu highlights are off-centered and overall ugly
*No sound?
*Get some new camera motion...spinning around the ring gets old after about 2 revolutions
*Venue highlight doesn''t stick
*Select Player button is dead

Good things:
*Overall, pretty good graphics (though your tiles look like tiles)

Anyway, good effort.

Later,
ZE.

//email me.//zealouselixir software.//msdn.//n00biez.//
miscellaneous links

[if you have a link proposal, email me.]

[twitter]warrenm[/twitter]

Thanks for testing it guys! Really appreciate it.

daher: did it give any specific error message when it crashed on the voodoo2?

ZealousElixir: Yeah, the menu doesn''t do much at the moment. There are command line params to change the rates at which the input is sampled, and the rate the game is updated. Read the readme.txt for more details if you have time to play with it. Theres a poll on the sourceforge project page so anyone testing it can tell us the update rates they prefer. What do you mean by tiles? The scene at the moment consists of a textured skydome and arena model (with floor textured to match the background). I''m guessing you mean that the texture on the floor looks like a repeated low res texture?

I''m working on the skeletal animation at the moment (written, but very buggy ;¬), while the other coder in the projects is working on the sound and collision detection.

Thanks again for all your comments. We are doing this project for our university work, so all ''user'' (no offence!) comments are really usefull for documentation, as well as the obvious huge benefit of having other programmers point us in the right direction.

Thanks again,

Dan

[size="1"]
quote:Original post by mrbastard
What do you mean by tiles? The scene at the moment consists of a textured skydome and arena model (with floor textured to match the background). I''m guessing you mean that the texture on the floor looks like a repeated low res texture?

That''s precisely correct.

Later,
ZE.

//email me.//zealouselixir software.//msdn.//n00biez.//
miscellaneous links

[if you have a link proposal, email me.]

[twitter]warrenm[/twitter]

quote:Original post by ZealousElixir

That''s precisely correct.

Cool, as long as i understand you OK ;¬)

Thanks again for the constructive critisism.

Dan

[size="1"]
How do you get it to play? I''ve got it so i''m circling around the sheep pen or whatever but how do you start the fight? I tryed pressing everything, I hit start fight a lot. I tryed restarting the game. All it does is spin around the pen a lot.
my start button was broken as well. Nice start menu (might want to hide dos or something).

This may be a bit stupid but u didnt code the scenes with opengl did u (i only saw the sheep pen)? I recomendation is use a milkshape model instead. Much faster and much more control over what u get.

U got to sync ur key managment controls with the games timer.

One more thing - not too sure if u looked at this or not - u know how when u test for collisions and ur not too sure when in the timestep the collision occured? dont wory about it. When im playing a fighting game i sort of like to see my fist go through the other guy once in a while.

Ancient Wisdom:
"Copy and paste fills the page, coding fills the mind...and the debugger."
quote:Original post by NerdJNerdBird
How do you get it to play? I've got it so i'm circling around the sheep pen or whatever but how do you start the fight? I tryed pressing everything, I hit start fight a lot. I tryed restarting the game. All it does is spin around the pen a lot.

Um, sorry, its only a basic tech test - eg no actual gameplay yet. Sorry, I should maybe have made that more clear.

I'm off to rid the skeletal animation and Character code of bugs now, so you can maybe have a playable game to test ;¬)

[edited by - mrbastard on March 24, 2002 11:58:47 AM]
[size="1"]
quote:Original post by llvllatrix
my start button was broken as well. Nice start menu (might want to hide dos or something).

Thanks, yeah I''ll work on getting rid of the console window. Think theres a command or param as you set up SDL.

{quote}
This may be a bit stupid but u didnt code the scenes with opengl did u (i only saw the sheep pen)? I recomendation is use a milkshape model instead. Much faster and much more control over what u get.
The ''arena'' and skydome are ms3d models (the skydome mainly because its easier to set the tex coords for different backgrounds). I can see what you mean though, it''d maybe be easier if they were both combined in one ms3d scene.

quote:
U got to sync ur key managment controls with the games timer.

The input is sampled at a different rate to the rate the gam eis updated. This is because the keyboard sampling also has to act as a filter so you don''t get 5 keypresses for every one, but the game data can still be updated at a good frequency.

As I said before, if you read the readme.txt theres command line params so you can alter the update rates to your satisfaction. I''ve had it set to a nice rate on my machine, but we weren''t sure how machine specific that would be, hence the command line params and poll on sourceforge.

quote:
One more thing - not too sure if u looked at this or not - u know how when u test for collisions and ur not too sure when in the timestep the collision occured? dont wory about it. When im playing a fighting game i sort of like to see my fist go through the other guy once in a while.

Haha, accompanied by a nice splatty blood particle effect? Yeah thats cool ;¬)

Thanks for the comments

[size="1"]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement