Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Darkan_Fireblade

Geting an Engine vs Making an Engine

Since you don''t even seem to know the basics (I''ve seen you post about octrees), I''d recommand you do none of that.

You won''t be able to build an engine from scratch, nor use one already existing.

I suggest you learn the basics first.

"Do it with style or don''t bother doing it."

Hey give me a break ok:D
i was just wondering what everybody has too say on that subject
and by the way i have been programming for more that 1 and a half years so give me some space!

Sir Darkan Fireblade

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Darkan_Fireblade
What is better learning to pregram with an engine that you bought
or makeing an engine of your own?

If you want to learn to program, then making your own engine will probably provide more ''excercise'' than using an existing engine.

If its not for learning purposes, then you may benefit from using an existing engine, since its less work for you to do, in other words, you get more time to concentrate on creating the actual game.

yeah making your own engine will no doubt give you programming experince. But as your system grows you may find it a bit overwhelming to deal with. Coming from my own experiences (I have had 4 years of computer science and a years worth of industry development experience in software engineering) i found it increasingly diffucult to deal with the complexity of my system as it increased in size. Maybe picking up some material on software engineering, design patterns, good design and such will help you if your are to create any sort of larger engine. I think that using someone else engine is good too, reading and understanding other peoples code is a good learning technique and a valuable skill to have. You can see what things they did right/wrong and learn from these. Make sure, if you are to use someone else engine, that they have documented it well, good documentation should help you understand their system and learn why they did things the way they did.

Hope it helps.