Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need some advice.. Starting out.

This topic is 5747 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

To start with, I would love to make a game. I have done some work with Darkbasic, and A5. I just went to barns and noble to pick up a book on game programming, ended up buying a book on 3D Modeling. While I was there, I decided to go with Darkbasic as my language of choice, because I dont know C, C++. I do know very little VB, and a little more VB.NET. I guess I'm facing the same problem as alot of beginners. I want to jump right in! Well this seems to never be the case. That's one reason why I choose A5. Because I didnt have to learn alot before I could start creating complex levels. Not only that but I tend to give up after awhile. I get bored to easily. If I'm not alway's doing something new, to convince myself that I "can" do this, it gets boring and I loose interest. But I always find myself right back, a few months later. Ok, enough sob story eh? What I'm after is some advice. Are there any books that I can buy that will allow me to "jump right in" with out boring the hell outta me with history, so forth? I've been through all that, too many times. I want to work my way through the creation of a game. (3D) I like VB.NET and there seems to be no books on game programming with it, so how hard is it to learn C++? Will C++ .NET work with current C++ books? One last thing before this becomes a novel. What are your opinions on, Darkbasic and 3D GameStudio A5? Are there any chance's in making a REAL 3D game with them? I mean something simular to today's standards? And finaly What Good (Possibly free or cheap) 3D engines are there? I just spend my last $50 bucks on: Modeling a Charator in 3D Studio Max... And I dont think I like it. I suck at modeling. K, enough. Thanks for your time, Jester 12/32/84 Edited by - J e s t e r on March 21, 2002 11:01:10 PM