Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

_walrus

How Big is your Engine?

I got some time to kill and was just wondering how many lines/classes/files.... your 3d-Engines have. Me i got about 60 classes and 30,000 lines in the engine and 8,000 in my world-builder.

"ImMortal Soulz": you shouldnt even consider the idea of working on a terrain engine, since the concept of using search engines does not seem to be known to you.

About 2000-3000 lines of code right now, and about 6 classes.
Everything divided into about 12 files for ease of use.

Doin'' good.

"What is darkness? It doesn''t exist where there''s light, and without light, it''s nothing..."

Currently 106 classes broken up into several of my APIs and the application itself:
Dimentional Values and methods -- Vectors, Points, etc.
Models/Animation -- for loading, animating, rendering, and saving my models (finally RIFF!!!).
Audio -- Basically more of a second generation DirectMusic API with some some expanded formats, some interface limitations, and some classes for easier audio/game triggering and interaction.
World -- My sweet, twisted binary space partition approach to world data (no splitting of polygons in the primary BSP -- only conceptual splits during compilation of levels for radiance calculations).
Instruments -- All of the ABCs for making interactive instruments.
Main API -- The main player class, camera stuff, etc.

And some (semi)complete instrument classes, and generic poo!

OpenGL for graphics (DirectMusic for Audio)

Currently only 15,544 lines (no line occupied comments excluding file headers), though not even close to being "complete" yet.

EDIT: 12 files

--------------------
Matthew Calabrese
Realtime 3D Orchestra:
Programmer, Composer,
and 3D Artist/Animator
"I can see the music..."

[edited by - Matt Calabrese on March 23, 2002 2:19:03 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
About 22,000 lines, in 79 files. 29 classes, a handful of functions.

So, if your engine has 30,000 lines of code, how big are commercial game engines? Mine''s only like 1,000 (though I haven''t been working on it long - I just started learning DX last week).

my sound system 100 lines 1 file
my input system 130 lines 1 file
my obj and tile loader 350 lines 1 file
my networing code 1300 lines 4 files (i hate networking)
main 400 lines.

quote:
Original post by SteinbergShlomi
Did you create the engines using C++, DirectX or OpenGL?

DirectX and OpenGL are not programming languages, they''re libraries. I programmed my engine completely in C++ (100% OOP). For audio, my engine uses DirectMusic (an API in the DirectX SDK) and OpenGL for graphics.

--------------------
Matthew Calabrese
Realtime 3D Orchestra:
Programmer, Composer,
and 3D Artist/Animator
"I can see the music..."

A lot of them are in my Vector API, which, in short is for making nonstatic 3D model movement/morphing/animation much more efficient. Also, a lot have to do with classes associated with my vector optimization tree, which is a way of reducing and arranging vectors which relate vertices of a model between each other (rather than the origin of the model when the case is necessary) and use simpler calculation techniques when the are related by a vector translation of less than 3 dimensions. When you apply any type of effect that animates/moves, etc. the model, it runs through the arranged vectors (which are put into an array once the tree is put together -- the tree is just temporary to the compile process of the model). I''ll probably end up writing an article on it when I get a chance, but that''s all you need to know for now.

About 15 of the classes are my instruments and associated classes which are not actually a part of my engine, but an application of it, so that might have been a little misleading. Other than that, the majority of the classes go in order of most the fewest: Audio, World, Main, Models/Animation, and the Instruments API.

The number also might seem a little high because it is 100% OOP. There are pretty much no global functions (winmain).

--------------------
Matthew Calabrese
Realtime 3D Orchestra:
Programmer, Composer,
and 3D Artist/Animator
"I can see the music..."

This is only a rumour I heard, so I don''t know how much value there is in it, but I think Quake III has about 250,000 lines of code. Again, it''s only a rumour...

iNsAn1tY - the place where imagination and the real world merge...
Try http://uk.geocities.com/mentalmantle - DarkVertex Coming Soon!

click on the last line of a file and look at what line you are on. The only problem is that includes blank spaces and comments.

--------------------
Matthew Calabrese
Realtime 3D Orchestra:
Programmer, Composer,
and 3D Artist/Animator
"I can see the music..."