new programmer

Started by
25 comments, last by dogfallzone 22 years ago
you know your brother better than any of us. ideally, i would say start with C++ or C++ with an ASM and VB suppliment. BUT, does your brother have the attention span, or time, or resources to jump into C++? if your not sure, then dont start him on it! he''ll put it off and off ''till hes 15.
you may want to start him with VB or delphi. dont bother with basic or pascal. alot of the times, younger kids NEED to have quick, RAD graphics, like VB provides.

if you do show him C++, and he begins to lose intrest due to the slow development, you may get some programmable robots. the lego robots for example. you can get software to program them in C++ or VB, and probably anythings else. if game programming doesnt interest him, i bet you robot programming will. (its practically a fact.)

one thing i found good is to introduce a game programming language instead of a developer one. like QuakeC, or games like AI wars -- excellent and exciting ways to build some basic programming foundation. you might introduce these as suppliments to normal studies.

when i was 13, i thought computers and computer games were the devil.
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Gee
And btw, it''s important he learns to post things here by himself... No offence to you though, your a good brother/sister...

He is on a trip with our dad, and this is really his account. He will be back Tomorrow.
quote:Original post by Gee
And btw, it''s important he learns to post things here by himself... No offence to you though, your a good brother/sister...

He is on a trip with our dad, and this is really his account. He will be back Tomorrow.
Well, my dad showed me a little BASIC when I was around 5 years old (not much, but enough for basic concepts). I have to say it really helped.

As for the language to start in, I''d say Java, sticking to single-class programs until later on. Java is a simple, elegant language and similar enough to C++ for an easy conversion later on. C++ has has its confusing points such as pointer arithmetic and virtual functions. Java gets rid of such lower level programming preliminaries which is less stress on the beginer. Java also has a large, well-documented standard library.Java also makes windows programming a breeze, which is nice since many begining programmers are only interested in how to make flashy games. But I guess the actual language you start off with is not as important as how you learn it. You can make programming as simple or as hard as you want. It all depends on what resources you have to learn from.
I have AI wars, that is a cool game , i have a pretty good bug. but i probably only like it cuz im 13 , also i know C++/Direct3D8 and i love the common files cuz i can type a few lines of code and i start seeing results, but mostly i find samples and experiment and change things to see how they work, that is just how i learn best. i have C++ for dummies, and a Direct3d book by Andre Lamothe. It was not too hard to learn.
I almost always just play games like Q3, Wolfenstein Red Alert, Diablo 2 and, MYST 3 , which i think is the best game ever. I only learned to program because i though it would be cool to someday make a game that is like on of the ones i like playing.
I''m 13 years old, and I''ve been programming "seriously" since I was about eight. I remember sitting around when I was seven, modifying that Nibbles game that came with QBASIC.

So, it''s given that I started out with BASIC. I realize now that it probably didn''t do me good, but at least it got me started.

I got better and better at BASIC, and when i turned 9, I was fairly proficient. The first "serious" program I made, I think was a virtual piano. The program drew up piano keys on the screen, and you could play it with the middle keys on the keyboard. :D

I finally realized that I wasn''t going much further. I didn''t have any books, neither did I have anyone I knew that programmed. So, I sort of put off programming(only doing a bit of C for a while) for about two years, until a day close to my 11:th birthday when I installed Linux. I started writing simple Perl scripts. I am now referred to in #linux.se@efnet as the Regex God. :D
I like to think I''m really good with Perl, and I''ve written too many things to count. (I''m not saying anything I wrote was actually... useful)

Now, after a while, naturally, I was getting bored with Perl. Note that I had absolutely nothing to write, so I entertained myself by looking for Perl scripts on Freshmeat to copy, or helping people on IRC - when I wasn''t learning new languages.

Nowadays, I know: C, C++, Perl, BASIC, VB, Java, JScript, ASP, PHP, and finally, C#.

I think this post was supposed to be informative. Or something.
Oh well.

torqueso.
torqueso.
By the time I turned 7, I made a 900,000 line 3D engine, which id software stole from me, but I was too young to fight back, so there!

Really though, at the age of 12 I played around with QBasic. Didn''t know anything about Subs, Functiones or Arrays until I opened up VB and a book on VB. After that I started playing around pretty hard, and now Im into C++.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement